Help with exclusion query when classifying with graduated symbols

01-29-2014 10:57 AM
SaraThompson2
New Contributor
Hello,

I have a feature class data set (of 51 points) and I'm attempting to symbolize with graduated symbols. I need to exclude about 20 of these points from visually being present on the map. The FID's of the points I need to exclude are not in numerical order as the points being excluded are based on a joined attribute field. When in Properties>Symbology>Quantities> Graduated Symbols> then click the "classify box" and then click "exclusion" I can't seem to make the correct SQL query. It works with when I do it with one point, for instance: "FID" = 43
But, I can't seem to get it to work for excluding multiple points. I've tried parentheses and quotations and different spacing and everything I can think of.
I'm sure this is incredibly simple, but I can't seem to get it right. Does anyone know how to go about this?

Thanks so much!

GIS intern Sara 🙂
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I have a feature class data set (of 51 points) and I'm attempting to symbolize with graduated symbols. I need to exclude about 20 of these points from visually being present on the map. The FID's of the points I need to exclude are not in numerical order as the points being excluded are based on a joined attribute field. When in Properties>Symbology>Quantities> Graduated Symbols> then click the "classify box" and then click "exclusion" I can't seem to make the correct SQL query. It works with when I do it with one point, for instance: "FID" = 43
But, I can't seem to get it to work for excluding multiple points. I've tried parentheses and quotations and different spacing and everything I can think of.
I'm sure this is incredibly simple, but I can't seem to get it right. Does anyone know how to go about this?

Thanks so much!

GIS intern Sara 🙂

You may try using IN. Something like NOT "FID" IN (43,44,45,46,47) Don't forget to add single quotes if it is a string 🙂
0 Kudos