Force Delete an Item in Portal for ArcGIS

03-07-2016 09:35 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having problems deleting an item in Portal for ArcGIS.  It is delete protected so I can't delete using the UI.  I am unable to change the delete protection because the edit button is also disabled.  I used ArcGIS Online Assistant and tried to change the delete protection from there but the change from true to false wouldn't actually take.  It just kept reverting back.  I tried to find the xml or json file in the item ID folder on the Portal server itself, but I couldn't find the delete protection attribute.  I'm hesitant to just outright delete the item ID folder itself because I don't know if the item ID is registered anywhere else (a user's item list for instance).  Could anyone instruct me on a thorough way to force delete an item from Portal for ArcGIS?

40 Replies
Rhys-Donoghue
New Contributor III

If this helps anyone, you can delete an item via this URL:

https://[your server]/[your portal name]/sharing/rest/content/users/[your username] - This will show you the content you own, then you can click on the item, then delete it.  I had to do this for content that was not showing up in Portal for ArcGIS.  I knew it was there and went looking for it and found it via the URL above.

Imtiaz Syed‌ - Nice script, thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos