Duplicate ObjectIDs/Features In View Layer

02-10-2020 10:01 AM
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

I am working with view layers in portal and ran across an issue where it seems that when a feature in the primary table is edited the feature and objectID is duplicated in the view layer.  See the following:

Primary layer.  Note that there are no duplicate objectIDs:

View layer.  Note objectID 1930 is duplicated several times:

Additionally, if the view layer is brought into a web map the feature is only drawn once, however the duplicate features remain in the table:

Also, if I bring the service into ArcGIS Pro the duplicates do not appear either drawn in the map or in the table.

Any suggestions?  I have attempted to rebuild the view layer without any change in behavior.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RosemaryHatch
New Contributor III

Hi Rachel,

Were you ever able to find a workaround for this? I was hoping to make my view non-editable (so I could pull it into a separate map), but if I understand this bug correctly that's pretty much impossible?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

I didn't see anyone discuss this; so for what it is worth, it appears the duplicates are just showing you the full edit history.  Kind of cool and also annoying. The last edit dates are unique.  The first time you encounter a record in the attribute table that is the last or most recent edit.  So if you create a new feature and submit it then edit that feature and resubmit, you would see two records in the table for the objectid.  Depending on your point of view, this is either an "bug" or a "feature".

A colleague of mine tested the following scenarios with the "error" being the bug point of view.

Colleagues Comments:

I tested it on the view I created, and managed to prevent the error. Here are the steps I took in order:

1. Reproduced the error
  2. Enabled Sync and Editing on the view layer
    1. Duplicate records no longer appeared
    2. Error no longer reproducible when editing parent layer
  3. Disabled Editing on the view layer, but kept sync on
    1. Duplicate records no longer appeared
    2. Error no longer reproducible when editing parent layer
  4. Disabled Sync on the view layer, but kept Editing on
    1. Duplicate records returned
    2. Reproducible error
  5. Disabled both Edit and Sync on the view layer
    1. Duplicate records returned