Duplicate ObjectIDs/Features In View Layer

02-10-2020 10:01 AM
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

I am working with view layers in portal and ran across an issue where it seems that when a feature in the primary table is edited the feature and objectID is duplicated in the view layer.  See the following:

Primary layer.  Note that there are no duplicate objectIDs:

View layer.  Note objectID 1930 is duplicated several times:

Additionally, if the view layer is brought into a web map the feature is only drawn once, however the duplicate features remain in the table:

Also, if I bring the service into ArcGIS Pro the duplicates do not appear either drawn in the map or in the table.

Any suggestions?  I have attempted to rebuild the view layer without any change in behavior.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

Help, I have this too!

I cannot see the consistency in its choice to duplicate.  There seems to be a duplicate for every time the feature has historically been edited (therefore coming up with different statuses), however there are duplicates on features that haven't been edited (seen on the last_edited_date field).  There are some that have been duplicated 5+ times, majority have been duplicated just once, and some that have not been duplicated at all.  The system fields are duplicating (globalid, objectid, editer tracking fields).  I have a field that has been added after the layer was created, this has not been duplicated.

I'm using a hosted feature service in Portal. 

0 Kudos
AndrewAdamson
New Contributor II

Is there a solution or workaround to this issue?  I'm creating a view from a survey123 feature service and noticing the same behavior.  Deletes from original data source do not populate in the view and edits made in original duplicate in view - with same object id's.

This is in Portal 10.7

0 Kudos
RachelS

Hi,

Has anyone found a solution to this? I've the same problem it's creating copies of the same record up to 4/5 times in the view in Portal 10.7.

0 Kudos
DSIProvince_Nord
New Contributor III

Same issue here with a hosted feature layer in Portal 10.7.1

Even disabling the "Keep track of created and updated features" setting before creating the hosted view did not work

0 Kudos
Yann-EricBoyeau
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I think you should contact ESRI support about this bug.
Having duplicate ObjectID in the view is not expected.

0 Kudos
DSIProvince_Nord
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew,

I asked Esri support about this issue.

They told there is a referenced bug BUG-000130542 - editing a hosted feature layer creates duplicate records in a dependent hosted feature layer view. But I can't find it in Esri's support website.

Anyway, the workaround is :

1. Navigate to the Settings tab of the item details page on the hosted feature layer view. 
  2. Enable editing and sync on the hosted feature layer view. 
  3. Return to the hosted feature layer and make edits to the field values. 
  4. Refresh the hosted feature layer view.
  5. The records display as expected.

In my case I didn't have to do steps 3 and 4. Enabling editing and sync solved the problem immediately and after that I just disabled them. I tried to add/modify records in the hosted layer and everything was right in the hosted view.

Regards

TexasMike
New Contributor III

Thanks for the workaround, fixed the issue for us.

0 Kudos
DerekPhyn
Occasional Contributor

We too have had this issue with Portal 10.7.1. We created a Survey using Survey123 webform and created fieldworker and stakeholder views. From the Survey123.arcgis.com interface the stakeholder view can only be non-editable by default. That's OK, that is what we want. However, we built some dashboards using the stakeholder view and then noticed that when we edited data in the master feature layer or fieldworker view using a webapp, rather than sync, the stakeholder view would instead add a duplicate record with those edits and the original record was unchanged. In the stakeholder view there was also a kind of "ghost geometry" for any points that were moved. The point was in the correct location but there was some kind of legacy geometry still being picked up for the original location...

Thanks to DSI Province Nord‌ for the post above I followed those instructions and found I just needed to turn this setting on for the stakeholder view and when I refreshed everything was fixed. All the duplicate records and ghost geometries had gone.

However, I'm convinced this is a bug as stakeholder views should sync by default rather than create duplicate records and ghost geometry. I'll follow up with ESRI.

0 Kudos
RachelS

I've followed the above steps and that fixed the duplicates. But does the enable editing and sync need to be switched on all the time?

I'd prefer they were off, however when I switch them off again the duplicates seem to return.

0 Kudos