Definition Query in Layer filtering associated Feature Linked Annotation

09-12-2011 11:06 AM
BrianKaplan
Occasional Contributor
There is a ESRI supplied dll file writtien for ArcGIS Version 9.x that provides the ability to have the feature linked annotation filtered based on the Definition Queries of Originating layer.  See http://edndoc.esri.com/arcobjects/8.3/?URL=/arcobjectsonline/samples/arcmap/layers/layerpropertypage...

Has anyone gotten this to work in 10.0 or is there another way?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChristopherStorer
New Contributor
I have not found a v10 way to do this, but it certainly would be nice!  Perhaps you should post this to ideas.esri.com as a future feature.  If I figure it out, I'll let you know.
0 Kudos
MicahCallough
New Contributor III
It would be nice to figure this out for 10...it really would save allot of time creating copies of anno layers from selection sets. Defeats the purpose of Feature Linked Anno. You would think that if the feature is not there (e.g. through a definition query) the anno should not display
0 Kudos
MicahCallough
New Contributor III
It would be nice to figure this out for 10...it really would save allot of time creating copies of anno layers from selection sets. Defeats the purpose of Feature Linked Anno. You would think that if the feature is not there (e.g. through a definition query) the anno should not display. The only way i can figure out how to do this is to make the def query on the feature i am making anno from...join it to the anno feature calculate the ones that did not come across on the join to "unplaced" and the rest to placed.
0 Kudos
ChristopherStorer
New Contributor
Well, it's dirty, but theoretically you could do a table join inside a map and query it out from the source table.  Doesn't hurt a view-only map too badly, but it could make editing more prone to error.

EDIT: Looks like you were thinking the same thing 🙂
0 Kudos
ChristopherStorer
New Contributor
Are you working with an RDBMS or a file-based workspace?  With Oracle, I just tested using subqueries; I realize this functionally limits me to the base table, but that's worth the compromise, with how fast the queries run.
0 Kudos
ChristopherStorer
New Contributor
In case anyone is still wondering about this, you can definitely use subqueries to filter out the appropriate features, as in the following example:

Transformer definition query:
( subtypecd NOT IN ( 6, 7, 😎 ) AND ( operatingvoltage IN ( 190, 400, 410, 210, 220, 230 ) )

Transformer annotation definition query:
featureid IN (SELECT objectid FROM transformer WHERE subtypecd NOT IN (6, 7, 😎 AND operatingvoltage IN ( 190, 400, 410, 210, 220, 230 ) )

This shows usage for file geodatabases, but I also use the logic for Oracle without much trouble (accepting of course that you can only perform subqueries on the base table unless you build views).
0 Kudos