Cannot Delete Portal Users

08-21-2015 11:45 AM
BobbiLay
New Contributor III

I keep getting the same error (when I'm logged in as admin): Cannot delete user *%$*(*^ Member must not own items or groups.... I could understand if this person did own ANYTHING but the person has never even logged in.  We have hardly used Portal and I recently upgraded to 10.3.  I'd be perfectly happy to just start from scratch but I'm not sure what I would change to get a clean slate.  I feel like a full uninstall may not even do it.  If I don't find a way to get rid of users I may end up doing that.  Command line deleteusers is no help either.

boo

13 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The user might not have logged into Portal, but published services through ArcCatalog. If you are logged in as an administrator, you could check the item info of the user (that you want to delete). Any linked data/services? If found, you could move the data to a folder of different user or change the owner.

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndrewAidt2
New Contributor III

I have an admin user in portal 10.5 that I cannot delete. They do not own any items or groups.

0 Kudos
AndrewAidt2
New Contributor III

I found that the member I was attempting to delete was a MEMBER of one group (NOT OWNER!). Once I removed them from that group, I could delete that member! VERY FRUSTRATING!

swoiak
by
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue. I used an account to transfer content from our AGOL organization to our Portal, after which I moved the content to another Portal account. The account now has no content, owns no groups, is a member of no groups, and yet I am unable to delete it. I am also unable to access it - tried to reset the password but no email to reset the password was ever sent, so now I am unable to log into the account. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
FabianMeyer1
New Contributor II

Hi. Did you find a solution for this problem? I am having exactly the same issue and restarting services has no effect.

0 Kudos
EricPeña
Occasional Contributor

A complete reboot of my Portal server (not restart of the service) fixed this.  Once I rebooted I was able to delete the users that seem to have been locked.

0 Kudos
AxinGlobal
New Contributor II

Hi,

I also have this issue currently with 2 users in a 10.6 ArcGIS Enterprise implementation. Both users have no owned groups or items (as well as not being a member of any groups).

I am unable to do any of the following; delete, log in to, reset password, change user level to level 1, update profile details. 

What I can do with these users; add remove from groups, disable then re-enable (note disabling does not free up their named user license). 

I have noted that in the https://portal.domain.com/arcgis/portaladmin/system/indexer/status it shows that our users index is way out at the moment. Running a reindex did not fix this index issue though. Somehow these users have become stuck in limbo, i.e. they exist in some tables/locations but not in others, or are incomplete/broken in some other way. See index image here:

Have tried the following to resolve without success: both a reboot of all enterprise services (portal/server etc) and have also tried restarting actual machines, obviously deleting users manually through normal organisation gui, have tried reindex as mentioned above, have also tried using command line utility within portal install. 

Any ideas anyone has on how to hard reset these users without having to dumb the entire content directory would be most appreciated. 

Thanks Hamish

portal admin‌ portal‌ portal 10.6‌ portal account‌ esri portal‌ arcgisportal‌ portal_for_arcgis‌ arcgis_portal‌ portal for arcgis adminstration‌ enterprise user‌ arcgis enterprise 10.6‌ arcgis administration‌ arcgis enterprise portal‌ enterprise locks‌ enterprise‌

0 Kudos
FabianMeyer1
New Contributor II

Hi,

ESRI Support Team told me to delete the users manually in the database this way:

1. Open Win-Cmd as Admin and navigate to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\pgsql\bin
2. Run command: psql -h localhost -p 7654 -U portaladmin -d gwdb -c "SELECT username FROM gw_users WHERE username = 'piersp2@SIGI'"
3. If the previous command is successful than run: psql -h localhost -p 7654 -U portaladmin -d gwdb -c "DELETE FROM gw_users WHERE username = 'piersp2@SIG'
4. Reindex

Regards,

Fabian

AxinGlobal
New Contributor II

Fantastic, thanks for posting this Fabian. I'm going to try it asap. This obviously worked for you? 

0 Kudos