Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Web Map Viewer Max Record

08-01-2023 01:22 AM
Labels (3)
GIS123EXPERT
New Contributor II

I am working on ArcGIS Enterprise system and I want to publish a layer consisting of 1.7 million points.

I publish this layer with ArcGIS Pro as a wfs service. I set the maximum records by server as 2000000 from the sharing settings.

After publishing the service, you can see the maximum number of records below.

When I open it with the viewer, all the records are not displayed and when I set the WFS OGC options on the Web Map Viewer, I can enter the maximum value of 30000.When I enter the value 30001, I get an error.

How can I see all my records as WFS?

Thanks..

0 Kudos
15 Replies
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

This seems to be a default value of 3000 to protect the performance of your consumer. Depending on where you consume these layers, Pro seems to have a way to update the max number of records returned from a WFS: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/services/use-wfs-services.htm#:~:text=Set%20the%2....

There is a specific requirement for COUNT in WFS 2.0.0 for this to work.

I'd suggest changing this property and then saying it as a layer file if you need people to see the 1.7 million points.

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."
0 Kudos
GIS123EXPERT
New Contributor II

I made the settings you mentioned in the WFS 2.0 version I published.

However, these settings seem to affect only the ArcGIS Pro side. Users who will use the service want to access and edit over the web(Web Map Viewer), so I need to make this setting for the web side. For the web side, there is an error like in cc.png it comes into the mix.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Pro's default is 3000 for performance reasons. Desktop graphics.

Web Map Viewer's default is 1000 for performance reasons. Client browser rendering.

0 Kudos
GIS123EXPERT
New Contributor II

Thank you for your support

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The default limit is 1,000.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/available-wfs-service-proper...

See the section here:

When the Enable maximum number of features property is checked, you can use this property to specify the maximum number of features to be returned. By default, the value is set to 1000.

Keep in mind that specifying a large number of features to be returned by the server can slow the performance of client applications and your GIS server.

Your server has a max limit of 200000. The client is limiting the number requested to 3000. 

Reading the Map Viewer documentation they indicate the limit for Hosted is 3000. They don't specify a limit for referenced services that I can see, but going off the server documentation defaults, 3000 sounds like a good point.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/ogc.htm

So... why do you want to try and render 1.7 million points? It'll throttle your service and your client web browsers. It'll also look horrendous. Typically you'd enable scale-driven symbology to avoid trying to render more than the limits. There's also lots of methods/symbology to display large quantities of data e.g. clustering and heat maps:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/best-practices-high-density-data.htm

I'd strongly recommend NOT trying to mess with these limits. It'll just give you and your end users a bad time. 

GIS123EXPERT
New Contributor II

A public institution wants to see all the building numbers in the same service and at one time. That's why I'm trying to publish 1.8 million data as WFS. As you say, exceeding the limits in terms of performance will cause slowness for both the publisher and the user, but because I need to publish the data, I am looking for various ways.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

"at one time"?

put a scale level on it and make it display when they zoom into a building?

GIS123EXPERT
New Contributor II

"at one time" is to see all the points when the map is opened. Even if they do not see all the points when the map is opened, as a result they should be able to see all the points when they zoom in on the map anywhere. However, since the service first filters all the returned data, not all points are visible on the map even when scaling.

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

When the user zooms in their mapping client should be sending new requests to the feature service for the points that fall within the new map extent.  With a smaller map extent the WFS service should be able to provide records for all visible points.