API to Create User?

05-04-2015 01:10 PM
ChrisHairfield
New Contributor

I'm looking at the Portal API documentation and the ability to programmatically create a new user seems to be missing. I'm building a product with a use case to temporarily onboard contractors via email (w/o Esri identity) into our client's Esri organizations to work within their service area.

1. Is the ability to create new users supported by the ArcGIS Online Portal REST API?
  2. (bonus) Is this within the terms of use?

Thanks for whatever help you can give!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobWaller
New Contributor III

I've never tried it but is this what you need, there's a 'CreateUser' under the Security section:

ArcGIS REST API

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

Q1) Is the ability to create new users supported by the ArcGIS Online Portal REST API?

A1) While it may be possible to create new users via the REST API ...

You also mentioned you wanted them to be w/o Esri identity ...

Q2) (bonus) Is this within the terms of use?

A2) No, this would be a violation of the Esri software license agreement. All accounts in an ArcGIS Online organization or Portal for ArcGIS instance need to be a Named User account (e.g., have Esri identity).

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ChrisHairfield
New Contributor

Thanks Derek,

Your answer to my second question makes sense, and leaves me with a slightly different one.

If there was a Named User for Person A in Organization X, and Organization Y wanted to create a temporary Named User in their own Organization for Person A, is that a valid use of the CreateUser API?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
ChrisHairfield
New Contributor

Scratch that, Derek. I as able to add Named User A to Organization Y through the /invite API, found at:

ArcGIS REST API

0 Kudos