Select to view content in your preferred language

PowerShell DSC Base ArcGIS Enterprise Deployment Hangs During Federation

Jump to solution
01-08-2024 09:30 AM
TraeTimmerman
New Contributor III

I'm working on deploying a single-machine base ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 deployment on an EC2 instance in AWS using PowerShell DSC. It appears that everything is working properly except the federation step, which hangs and never proceeds nor produces an error. Any thoughts on what might cause the federation to hang? Or any ideas on troubleshooting steps/observations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TraeTimmerman
New Contributor III

Thank you for the feedback and direction @ArchitSrivastava. I was able to identify the cause for this issue and found a workaround. See Base Enterprise Deployment Hangs During Federation · Esri/arcgis-powershell-dsc · Discussion #515 (g....

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

You can look the C:\chef logs inside the machine to see if it shows any hint of the problem.

If still not able to determine the cause I would open a ticket with Esri Technical Support to investigate further.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
TraeTimmerman
New Contributor III

Hi @MarceloMarques ,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using PowerShell DSC, not Chef. That being said, I finally got an error after the step hung for about an hour indicating that token generation was unsuccessful. The exact message is: 

PowerShell DSC resource ArcGIS_Federation failed to execute Test-TargetResource functionality with error message: Unable to retrieve Portal Token for 'portaladmin' from Deployment
'EC2AMAZ-RQ2AG6M'

What's odd is that tokens are generated during other steps in the PowerShell DSC deployment and work just fine. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

AWS Cloud Formation Templates to Deploy ArcGIS Enterprise run behind the scenes Chef scripts that you can check the logs under C:\Chef. I do not use PowerShell DSC on my deployments but I wonder if it also calls Chef scripts inside the machine that you can check the logs. I hope this clarifies.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
TraeTimmerman
New Contributor III

Hey @MarceloMarques ,

I appreciate the feedback. I realize that AWS CloudFormation templates use CINC under the hood. I'm not using CloudFormation templates. PowerShell DSC does not rely on CINC/Chef. I've opened a case with Support Services to see whether they have any ideas.

0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @TraeTimmerman ,

I would like to request if you can share more details like the deployment architecture and which JSON you are utilizing from the sample configs available in the Github link mentioned below (as these are latest and upgraded for 11.2):

arcgis-powershell-dsc/SampleConfigs/v4/v4.2.0/Base Deployment at main · Esri/arcgis-powershell-dsc ·...

I would also like to confirm if you are importing certificates in ArcGIS Server Admin and Portal admin prior to configuring federation, for sample check the below sample config JSON:

arcgis-powershell-dsc/SampleConfigs/v4/v4.2.0/Base Deployment/BaseDeployment-ThreeMachine-ssl-per-No...

Additionally, there also seems to be a known and replicated issue with Powershell and 11.1 deployment. The issue seems to produce a similar error. It seems that the same works with 11.0 but has some issues since 11.1, to help understand more details, I am share the Github discussion URL below:

ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1: Portal federation failed with invalid token · Issue #464 · Esri/arcgis-power...

Hope it helps!

-Archit

TraeTimmerman
New Contributor III

Thank you for the feedback and direction @ArchitSrivastava. I was able to identify the cause for this issue and found a workaround. See Base Enterprise Deployment Hangs During Federation · Esri/arcgis-powershell-dsc · Discussion #515 (g....