Select to view content in your preferred language

Configuration Reporter

07-13-2024 10:21 AM
MaggieBusek
Esri Contributor
10 11 942

The Configuration Reporter is a Python script that provides an output with architecture and configuration information about an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment in a Windows or Linux environment. ArcGIS Enterprise versions 11.3, 11.2, 11.1, and 10.9.1 are supported. The script is helpful for understanding and communicating the design of an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment and even potentially troubleshooting environment-specific issues.

The Configuration Reporter provides details about the logical architecture of the deployment, including the configuration of the Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server components, as well as licensing and certificate information. The script output is in a Microsoft Excel format that is arranged in sheets for easy analysis and sharing.

Check out this Knowledge Base article on the Esri Technical Support site to download the tool.

If you have feedback or questions about the tool, please reply to this blog. 

11 Comments
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

@MaggieBusek Thank you for this - it looks like a great tool to prepare for upgrades and troubleshooting issues.

Is there a Git repo for this?

Again, many thanks for sharing.

SimonGIS
New Contributor III

Does Excel need to be installed on the machine where this is run?

Cannot convert {'region': 'ap-southeast', 'credentialType': 'IAMRole', 'endpoint': 's3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com'} to Excel

SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, this is great, thank you for sharing. Would it be possible to share the code on Github with an open license, so we can contribute?

CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @MaggieBusek 

Great post, this looks like it'll be extremely useful when it comes to investigating issues in the environments, which I do quite often!

I'm with the others, any Git repo for this?

Cody

RobertHadsellESRI
New Contributor

Hello, 

I'm running into the following issue when attempting to run this tool against my ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 environment. 2024-07-22_10-57-54.png

After viewing the source code in my VS Code instance, it appears the tool is trying to use a deprecated method within the datetime class:

2024-07-22_11-00-57.png

I've tried to use the python.exe in both the ArcGIS Server default location as well as ArcGIS Pro, however, it is giving me the same error message with both. The arcgis python api version is 2.2.0.1 in both scenarios.

RobertHadsellESRI_0-1721666736834.pngRobertHadsellESRI_1-1721666763095.png

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!

MaggieBusek
Esri Contributor

Thank you all for your questions! 

@A_Wyn_Jones@SimonSchütte_ct,  @CodyPatterson At this time, we do not have a Git repo available for the Configuration Reporter. We will consider this for the future.

@SimonGIS Excel does not need to be installed in order to run the script. Because the output file is an .xlsx you will need Excel to engage with the output. This does not have to be on the same machine where the Configuration Reporter is run. 

@RobertHadsellESRI An updated version of the tool has been published on the Knowledge Base article that should address this issue. 

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

I have an environment with  initial administrator account disabled and IWA authentication.
Is there a way to provide the credentials in the config.ini file for the current windows user (that is an administrator in the Portal)?
Similar question if SAML authentication is required.

SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

@DavidHoy From a quick glance into the code it looks like only internal portal users are supported at this point. Other methods need to be implemented: Working with different authentication schemes | ArcGIS API for Python I guess token based authentication would be easiest to implement (add token variable in runPortalCalls.py + add in ConfigReport.py so we can define a Portal Token in the config.ini)

@MaggieBusek Could you please assign an open source license that allows modification of the code? Then we could expand functionality here in the community.

Jonathan_Marin
New Contributor II

I attempted to run the tool again with the link in the knowledge base article you linked yesterday and I am still receiving the same error message that  @RobertHadsellESRI is getting. Was the zip file link updated on the article?

Thank you

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Just an update.
I was able to move forward by temporarily enabling the initial administrator account and using the https://<FQDN>:7443/arcgis route to portal and the credentials for portaladmin.
This worked ok for me.

StephenM01
New Contributor III

It looks like some try-except blocks where Expiration_Date is set may need to be indented in updateReportServerLicenseDetails.py. I was getting "local variable 'expiration' referenced before assignment" errors from the script. I indented a few of the try-except blocks and the script ran successfully.

Here's an excerpt showing one of the try-except blocks before I indented it:

try except block.png