ArcGIS Enterprise: Managing ArcGIS Server

08-21-2017 11:48 PM
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
8 5 3,022

FYI, several users requested a copy of this Esri UC 2017 technical workshop:

ArcGIS Enterprise: Managing ArcGIS Server

ArcGIS Server is the component of ArcGIS Enterprise that enables you to take your GIS resources such as maps and models, and share them as web services. Publishing your GIS resources as web services enables them to be used throughout the ArcGIS platform. This presentation will examine ArcGIS Server at a deeper technical level. Attendees will learn how to administer an ArcGIS Server site more effectively. Topics include: security, defining data stores, log files, and working with the Server Administrator directory.

I've attached the presentation in PDF format.

EDIT: video recording of this technical session,

ArcGIS Enterprise: Managing ArcGIS Server - YouTube 

Enjoy,

5 Comments
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

On slide number 44 about ArcGIS Server - Service Usage Statistics, what does a request equal?

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

A request would be each time a client application makes a query of some sort against the web service. For instance, export map requests, SQL queries, etc , anything that requires the GIS Server to fetch data from the data source. That said, I don't think we log requests for individual tiles in a cache - the overhead would be computationally expensive and would come at a price in terms of performance.

NatalieBuchwald
New Contributor III

Thank you for sharing your presentation and the PDF of it - it's very helpful. I was just hired as a "GIS Coordinator" for a County and their database is in shambles to say the least. There are a hundred or so feature classes and tables at the root of the database and a handful of datasets - none of the datasets have logical names, many of the feature classes and tables are duplicated. There are multiple projections used in the database, some feature classes have a "dl" at the beginning of them and others have a "dbo." Due to the previous Coordinator's "management style" people did not trust the database and have resorted to using shapefiles. I can't blame them because no permissions have been set and anyone can delete anything, there's no tracking, etc. All that being said, I'm trying to determine what the best approach would be - create a new enterprise database from scratch or try to "clean up" what is already existing. At this point I don't think starting from scratch would be bad because people aren't connected to the database - we have a few services running off feature classes but I thought maybe I could leave the old database up while building the new one and then just repath everything that breaks - my problem is (besides everything mentioned above) is that I have never been a GIS database administrator and I don't really know what the best approach is OR how to go about building a new enterprise database... does anyone have any insight, thoughts, best practices, etc they could share. I have 6 years of GIS experience, I've been an editor in an enterprise database, built applications, used ArcGIS Online, published web services, etc but I've never been tasked with managing an enterprise database and while it is an exciting endeavor and I know there will be hurdles I'm hoping to avoid major pitfalls and hate and discontent in general. Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Natalie,

> ... I'm trying to determine what the best approach would be - create a new enterprise database from scratch or try to "clean up" what is already existing. At this point I don't think starting from scratch would be bad because people aren't connected to the database 

I agree with your assessment. It would probably be easier to start over with a new geodatabase, that way - you know and can control its new schema and its contents. FYI, some background resources on the geodatabase:

Hope this helps,

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you taken any kind of database administration training classes?

What kind of database are you using (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, something else)?

What version of above database are you currently using (not ESRI version)?

About the Author
Senior Product Manager | Twitter: @GIS_Bandit | Mastodon: mastodon.world/@GIS_Bandit | Bluesky: bsky.app/profile/gisbandit.bsky.social