Rejecting changes via the Version Differences tool? - e.g. a wrongly deleted feature

02-11-2014 05:24 AM
KarlWilson
Occasional Contributor III
When I run the "Version Differences" tool from the Data Reviewer toolbar and write the results to the Reviewer table, am I then able to reject specific changes?

Specifically, if somebody deletes the wrong feature in one version and then saves their edit, how do intercept this error before posting it to the DEFAULT version? I don't see any way of rejecting a delete with any of the Data Reviewer functionality, nor as part of the versioning reconcile / post process (especially since there are no conflicts).

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here? Any help would be appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Hello Karl,

Data Reviewer does not have the ability to reject edits.  Core does have a tool that you can use to choose which edit to keep, Version Changes command.

Regards,
michellej.
0 Kudos
KarlWilson
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks for your reply Michelle,
Core does have a tool that you can use to choose which edit to keep, Version Changes command.

Unfortunately the Version Changes tool is severely limited. You can only use it to look at the changes between versions, but you can't use it to actually review them, i.e. accept, reject or amend the changes.

When the Version Changes tool is run, results are presented in a window with separate maps that don�??t link to the main map display. If you need to change something, you need to find and re-select it in the main map display and edit it there. This is very cumbersome workflow. There is also no way of rejecting a delete that's been saved in an edit version, other than copying it back in again from the target version manually.

If you edit a feature in one version, and delete it in the other, the Conflicts dialog will let you choose which version to keep. So the mechanism effectively already exists to intervene and stop a feature being deleted, it just needs to be extended to cover non-conflict changes. The logical place to put this would be in the Version Changes tool, or to merge the functionality of Version Changes and Conflicts together.

There's an ArcGIS Idea here along these lines:
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=08730000000btEUAAY