Question of Interoperability

06-29-2021 04:23 AM
Mesele_AtsbehaGebresilassie
New Contributor

It is wonderful to explore the width and breadth of expertise available in this platform. I just came in to navigate through and learn more from everyone.

Today, I came across a question from my customer that my customer want to have data that I processed in DWG format. I processed the data and produced results in Shape file format with several important attributes. When my customer wanted the data, I am forced to deliver the shape file converted directly to DWG and the attributes in Excel form.

I did not know that " it is impossible to have all attributes of a shape file in the DWG data the same way we store attributes in shape file".

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is true. CAD files doesn't manage the attributes like shapefiles/ Geodatabase Feature Class.

Could you check if these documentation pages are helpful?

Exporting attribute fields to CAD as text 

Exporting attribute values to AutoCAD block attributes 

Reserved CAD fields for AutoCAD DWG/DXF formats 

Think Location
0 Kudos
Mesele_AtsbehaGebresilassie
New Contributor

Thank you @JayantaPoddar,

the links are important. I used FME to write the output into Excel and DWG files and send to the customer with attributes in Excel and DWG with the same DWG ID and ExcelID. 

But this bears a significant challenge for interoperability. I think it is not impossible to make it work.

0 Kudos
RenatoSalvaleon3
Esri Contributor

@Mesele_AtsbehaGebresilassie you would be pleased to know that ArcGIS Pro has its own version of Safe's FME Desktop called ArcGIS Data Interoperability.  You will see the same look and feel that you are used to in the Workbench app plus more. If you have specific questions about your data workflows please feel free to reach out to our Data Interoperability Product Manager @BruceHarold or to your account rep for any sales or price questions.

0 Kudos