Transfer of dashboard between organizations

Jump to solution
03-25-2020 02:11 PM
IvanKozoletov1
New Contributor III

How do you transfer the dashboard from owner to another person in different organization? We have a student who designed dashboard for us but would be great if we can move it over to our organization to maintain the dashboard moving forward.

If student invites me to the group I can save the web map and hosted feature layer within it but how do you transfer the dashboard so it can be edited

14 Replies
IvanKozoletov1
New Contributor III

Yes, its confirmed I cannot move dashboard items between accounts even within the same organization using ArcGIS Online Assistant. Any other items are fine. That leaves a python or re-building the dashboard

0 Kudos
KarstenRank
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

the article  How To: Copy content from the Operations Dashboard of one Portal for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Online account... works fine for me.

But if look to your code:

item = source_gis.content.get("<19461bb6b6e341bda6f99d6592066146>")

try: 

item = source_gis.content.get("19461bb6b6e341bda6f99d6592066146")

Karsten

RVx_GaslineGiS
New Contributor III

I'm trying this same method with a dashboard, but do not have permissions to access the service. Do I need to create a Token through some means in order to copy content from an AGOL to Portal?

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III

All, I have found a solution using ArcGIS Online Assistant to copy a dashboard from one Portal to another. While I haven't yet tried it with ArcGIS Online I believe the steps will be similar.

The process is not a one-step copy/paste and there is a high potential that this may not work for your particular dashboards. At one point the ArcGIS Online Assistant (AGOA) even warned me that there was potential for corruption to my items, so proceed at your own risk!

My process:

1. Open 3 browser windows - one with your Target Portal, one with AGOA logged in to Target Portal, and one with AGOA logged in to Source Portal. Having 3 windows makes it easier to jump between and if you have two monitors, viewing the Source Portal AGOA on the second monitor can speed the process.
  2. In Source AGOA, view an item's JSON and select your dashboard.
  3. In Target Portal, create a new dashboard. I mirrored the title, tags, and summary from the source dashboard but I don't think it matters. To save typing, I copy/pasted the summary from the Source dashboard's JSON text. Save the dashboard and then close the dashboard and return to your Portal content. You now have an empty dashboard item in your Target Portal.
  4. In Target AGOA, view item's JSON and select your newly created dashboard. If you are doing these steps for multiple dashboards in a session you will need to refresh the item list to see the new dashboard item. The JSON for the newly created dashboard will have an identical or very similar set of JSON for the Description pane (id: will obviously be different between the two Portals) and the Data pane will have 3 lines of JSON with the version.
  5. Go back to the Source AGOA and press the Copy JSON button in the Data pane to copy the dashboard content.
  6. In the Target AGOA, press the Edit JSON button, then highlight the 3 lines of existing code in the Data pane and do a Ctrl-V to paste in the dashboard content. Once pasted, press the Save button.
  7. Go to your Target Portal and view your dashboard item (you may need to refresh your Content screen first). View the dashboard and cross your fingers that everything crossed over correctly! Note that all of the map and other source items will still be pointed at the Source Portal items.
  8. Re-work your dashboard to point to Target Portal items or do whatever you intend with your copied dashboard.

NOTE: I performed these steps on two Portals running 10.8.1. Your results may vary.

LuisVargasAlas
New Contributor II

Hi,

It works for me, copying two dashboards between two ArcGIS Online accounts.

Thank you.

0 Kudos