Show null values in a number selector (operations dashboard)

01-30-2018 06:22 PM
LukeSussex2
New Contributor

In operations dashboard, I have a field with number values some of which are null.  I would like to view the info using the number selector, displayed as a slider, but none of the null values show up e.g. the slider shows results from 0 to 200,000.  How do I add an option to select the null values? 

7 Replies
DavidNyenhuis1
Esri Contributor

Hi Luke Sussex‌,

Thanks for the question and details about your use case. Unfortunately, at this time there is not a way to include null values from a number selector (when applying a filter action to another element). This is a good enhancement idea, however. I will bring it to the team for consideration. 

Dave

JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

What's the status of this? I am finding that adding null string values to Category Selectors using the  "+ Override" button is also not possible in Operations Dashboard.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I logged in to ask about this. I have null values in one field and I want the user to be able to select that, because it is meaningful. 

I am going to recalculate "NULL" to "No Data" (text) and that should do it but the data is updated regularly, so I will have to recalculate whenever the data is updated. Also, I have large datasets and the calculation is taking a very long time.

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1

Recalculating <Null> to 'No Data' sounds like a good work around, Randy. I will try that in the future.

After calculating your current data, I would change the field to not allow <Null> values and set a default value of 'No Data'. That way all new data that comes in will have this field populated and usable. Just remind your editors to update this field from 'No Data' to whatever is appropriate when needed.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion about updating the field that I don't want Null values in. I didn't realize you could set a default value when you prohibit Null values. I'll try that.

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1

Update: I've created an enhancement idea for selecting Null values:

Add Null Override Category to Dashboard Selector

0 Kudos
PaulodeCastroVilli
New Contributor II

The simple workaround I found is using Arcade to replace Null with another value in an Arcade data source based on your current data source:

Documentation: https://developers.arcgis.com/arcade/profiles/dashboard-data/
Arcade Data Source Examples: https://github.com/Esri/arcade-expressions/tree/master/dashboard_data

BUT!!!

This works fine for domain attributes and strings... it does not work so well for numeric fields where there isn't a restricted valid numeric range

eg: you can't replace NULL with 0 if there are actual cases where 0 is a valid attribute value

an arbitrarily large, small or negative number might also mess things up horribly (eg: scale) without really ensuring you can differentiate it from valid numbers...

...and by then you realize NULL itself is the only safe out-of-range option... so it should be optionally possible to reach records with NULL value in all filters

0 Kudos