Receiving a login prompt for Public Dashboard

12-28-2021 10:32 AM
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Hello all!

I have a Public facing dashboard that has a web map, which has 2 hFL (hosted feature layers), and 1 hFLV (hosted feature layer view). All of the layers, the web map, and the dashboard are public. I'm really familiar with this process, which should not be this difficult to diagnose, however, I am suddenly receiving a login prompt when I log out of Enterprise and try the link.

I would share the link here, but I believe our Enterprise deployment is set up so that nobody can access outside of out network - so that will not work.

You can see in my screenshot that all selected layers are public. I do not have the hFL at the bottom on the map, it is solely used for editing, hence why it is not public. The other two hFLs mentioned that are on the map are not on this screenshot, but are shared publicly.

ESRI Support.JPG

I had this issue in the past, put in an ESRI support ticket, and the tech did a lot of testing, and ultimately, we changed the base map, saved the web map, and changed it back to the original, and for some reason, it fixed the issue. This is not the case now. I did e-mail her regarding this new issue. But wanted to reach out here to see what you all think.

Please help!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
KamillePreto

Forgot to mention, our Organization settings are open to anonymous viewers, so that's not an issue. We have always had public facing dashboards.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You may notice that this sort of post is very common here, with various solutions depending on the situation.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-dashboards-questions/ask-for-sign-in-but-the-dashboard-is-publi...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-dashboards-questions/public-operations-dashboard-prompts-login/...

The most common issues tend to be:

1. You're using developer basemaps
  2. Your organization's locator is not shared publicly

Does it prompt sign-on right away, or when you search for a location?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your reply. I did actually come across many other solutions here, and did see those two posts that you shared with me. It prompts the sign-on right away. I spent the last hour changing the base map to other options and nothing worked. I also changed it to a base map that I confirmed was in another public-facing web application, and it still did not work for me.

The base map that I am trying to keep is: World Dark Gray Canvas Base and the World Dark Gray Reference. This is the combination that I have used before publicly with no issues.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Any chance you could share the link?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Sure! Like I said though, I'm unsure if you'd be able to view it outside of our county network. But let's give it a shot.

County Construction Dashboard 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yep, definitely can't get at it. Ordinarily I'd suggest using the AGO Assistant, but that won't work without outside access.

Well, on your end, try going to this URL:

https://sql2017.w2k.co.camden.nj.us/portal/sharing/rest/content/items/31fd74feed3341a38ac9d7c568a7d9...

This should display the JSON definition of your dashboard. I'd start there, and look through the widgets for any dataSource items, and search for that itemId in your portal to see what it's referring to.

jcarlson_0-1640722772913.png

If you don't get anywhere with that, repeat the same process with the itemId of the web map itself and look through the operationalLayeres and basemapLayers to see if there are data sources referenced there that aren't shared publicly.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Hi Josh,

Thank you again for your help. My JSON definition does not look like yours, mine is just a page with all black text clustered together - no separation, like you have on individual lines. So I searched for widgets and I found that, but when I search by my dashboard's ID number, I come up blank. It doesn't say that it is found.

So, I searched by the Web Map ID and I found it. But I can't find anything called "operationalLayers" or "basemapLayers", I used to search bar for that. I also searched for View Layer, and hFL ID numbers (I don't know if they would be in here, but I tried anyway), and it did not find anything. It does have "layer ID" shortly listed after the dataSource, but it's an ID number that I cannot pinpoint to anything. Not the main layers that I am using anyway.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you clear browser cache and test it again, or try accessing it from a different machine within your County network?

Does restarting Portal for ArcGIS service work?

Think Location
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Hi Jayanta,

Yes, I did clear the cache yesterday, but unfortunately no help. No other machines can access the dashboard within the County network, I had them check to be sure. We also restarted the Service recently due to other glitches we have been experiencing.

0 Kudos