Prefilter with "Multiple" Option on Category Selector?

02-25-2019 10:53 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a large data set that I would like to put a pre-filter on so that a chart in my dashboard doesn't choke trying to display every record, which is what it tries to do, even when the layer is not visible.

I have had success with setting up a category selector and pre-filtering to a specific site. The opening chart just charts values for this site and loads quickly and looks nice.

I have another dashboard that has a selector with the "multiple" option and it feeds a grouped series chart. It does not seem possible to set a preconfigured value as you can with the "single" option.

Is there any way to set this to filter a specific value on startup with the multiple selector?

Thank you,

Randy McGregor  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Another thing that would be handy is to set a maximum number of categories for when you are using the grouped option, so the chart doesn't try to draw 41 different lines. I have a set with 41 sites. The chart tries to chart them all whenever the selector field doesn't have a value (no value in the selector = all sites selected), even when I unselect one value in order to select a different one. The chart begins trying to chart everything during that small period where nothing is selected, and bogs down.

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I set up a pre-filter for the time selector and set the default value to a time that doesn't exist so that no data is displayed at all. I called that "Disable Charting" and then added a another time category that applies to all data (Date > 1900), and called it "Enable Charting" 

The "Disable Charting" option is the default so the carts don't try to populate with the entire 30,000 records whenever the dashboard is opened.

This works, but the user needs to be careful. If there is no selection in the (multi-value) selector where you chose the site you want to chart, AND the "Enable Charting" selector is selected, the charts try to chart everything and gets bogged down.

There really does need to be a better way to control charting in the dashboards, I think.

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos