Operations Dashboard: Embed YouTube Videos

05-02-2019 02:54 AM
DouglasRonoh
New Contributor

Hi,

I've been trying to embed YouTube videos to operations dashboard using the Embedded Content widget.

However, I keep getting the error below after inserting the url:

No video with supported format or MIME type found / Invalid Source.

What could be the issue?

Douglas

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Douglas,

> ... I keep getting the error below after inserting the url

What URL are you using to reference the video?

You don't just go to the YouTube.com page and copy/paste the URL in your web browser’s address bar. You also don’t just right-click the video when playing and get a copy of the video’s URL.

Instead, you need to right-click the video and get the embed code (an HTML fragment) and then copy/paste its ‘src’ property into the Embedded Content element. The Content Type should be set as document.

You Tube Help: Embed videos and playlists

Hope this helps,

MatthewSimon
New Contributor II

Derek - Could you provide some more details on how to use the Embedded Content element for YouTube videos?  I was able to embed youTube videos using the Rich Text element and pasting that html embed code into the source <> . That seems to work ok but it isn't quite scaled right and the video only fills part of the box.  I'm wondering if the Embedded Content handles this better.  

When you configure the Embedded Content element you have two main options: Data and General.  Under Data I can see the Content Type option you reference above and I have mine set to Document (even though I trying to embed a video which seems counter-intuitive).  There is no source option here though; only a URL option which isn't going to accept html.  I see the source option under General when you edit the title and description and pasting that embed html code gets the video in there but that's not quite right either.  

Hoping you can clarify the steps for me - Thanks!

Matt

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

Apologies for the late reply. I've been out of the office on vacation.

> ... That seems to work ok but it isn't quite scaled right and the video only fills part of the box. 

Not quite sure what you mean, can you please post a picture/screenshot? Can you please clarify your issue?

0 Kudos
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

Go to your YouTube video, right-click on the video and select "Copy embed code".

Paste that embed code into Notepad.

You will see in the iframe HTML src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/somechars".  (That is what Derek was talking about).

Copy that and put it in the URL field for your Embedded Content.

Kevin