Select to view content in your preferred language

Operations Dashboard Bug? - Labels in Map Prevents Dashboard Browser View from Loading

09-12-2014 08:33 AM
DanAllen
Frequent Contributor
  1. Create ArcGIS.com map with a feature service hosted in ArcGIS.com
  2. Create Operation Dashboard View (desktop windows)
  3. Log into ArcGIS.com, and Open web version of Dashboard in Browser - Everything works great.
  4. Turn on labels in ArcGIS.com map
  5. Open Web version of Dashboard in Browser - Map never loads
  6. Turn Labels off In ArcGIS.com Map
  7. Open Web version of Dashboard in Browser - Map Still does not load

Is anyone else able to reproduce this error?

Dan

Tags (1)
23 Replies
ChristopherOlsen
Frequent Contributor

Labeling is not possible due to limitations in the WPF architecture.  We are working on a new version of Operations Dashboard that is based on JavaScript and will support labels (and many other things not previously supported).

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
Frequent Contributor

Any timeframe?

TiffanySelvidge1
Frequent Contributor

Will this include labeling support for Operations Dashboard via Portal?

0 Kudos
ChristopherOlsen
Frequent Contributor

Adam Repsher​- Public beta will be out shortly after UC and full release hopefully later this year.

Tiffany Selvidge​- Yes, the portal release for the new dashboard will have the same functionality as the AGOL one.

FrancescaGonzalez
Occasional Contributor

This error persists with the latest version dashboard (10.3.4.1523), windows 10

0 Kudos
ChristopherOlsen
Frequent Contributor

The labels will not work in the desktop version because of the known limitation of it's framework. We encourage users who want to show labels to build their dashboards with the browser version in mind, or to switch to using our new Operations Dashboard, in which you can author in the browser.  More details about that here and here.

Thanks!
Chris

FrancescaGonzalez
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris,

and another question

It has a hosted feature which has a field with dates, is loaded in a webmap and then symbolized with an expression

"Round (DateDiff (Now (), $ feature.FECH_INI," days "))"

Then change the style and symbols according to the video can be seen correctly in the webmap and the Dashboard with browser not so with windows Dashboard

watch video
https://www.screencast.com/t/55tWBnLhO7Q

I think this is a BUG, since we tried wn windows 8.1 and windows 10 (operating system in English and Spanish
0 Kudos
ChristopherOlsen
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the video, that certainly helps with troubleshooting the issue!  What you are seeing here, again, it's a limitation of the WPF platform. It has no understanding of the javascript symbols or expression, so it uses default symbology on the map. Also, the legend works, only because it's fetching the image from your webmap. As you also saw, there was no problem in the browser version, because it's using the same javascript library as the webmap. 

All of these 'platform' limitations have been addressed in our new beta app. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to join the beta and start building your own dashboards in the browser. We have seen tremendous feedback on it and look forward to the future of the product.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
Frequent Contributor

Hi Chris,

I have been dealing with this bug for quite awhile.  The Windows version of https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/operations-dashboard-for-arcgis?sr=search&sear...‌ is at times the best application for our needs, but this bug and some others get in the way.  I say bug because you have known that the JS symbol/expression has been a limitation for a very long time - enough time for a fix or workaround.

Moving forward, I was told over a year ago that this new JS browser version of OD would be the replacement that would fix all of my problems.  Well, it hasn't yet - because it is still in Beta.  If I build an app in this now, I will most likely not be able to use it when the Beta closes.  It is also not supported as Production.  You see my predicament.  I am in the beta program, but I don't have much time to play, considering that I have spent the last month dealing with 10.5.1, three open tickets, one bug, and still no fully operational portal.

While I understand that the time spent moving forward to new products is important, we sometimes have to weigh that with time spent fixing the old stuff with bugs - especially if it takes forever to get that new product into production. 

--Adam

0 Kudos
ChristopherOlsen
Frequent Contributor

HI Adam,

I can certainly understand your frustration and from working in technical support for 8 years here at Esri, I know how much even the smallest bugs can influence and disrupt customers.  In this new Operations Dashboard, we want to get it right the first time, with many new enhancements and bug fixes from the old dashboard we've made along the way. There's a lot of platform limitations that we started running into with the WPF, and there was a clear need to move into a more fluid implementation that can easily adapt to changes in the ArcGIS platform, as well as the technology changes that come with maintaining software. We've had a lot of great feedback so far with the beta, and if there's things that we could do better, we definitely want to hear it. I would encourage experienced and novice dashboard users to take a look, and start building new dashboards, even if it's just to see what's changed and what we can improve upon.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos