Opearation Dashboard: How to create almost identical dashboards faster?

Jump to solution
10-25-2019 02:14 PM
Gustavo_Souza
New Contributor III

In our company we create a lot of Dashboards. All dashboards come from a map that has the same layer template, with same fields, and the dashboards have the same layout. They are virtually the same, the only difference is that they use different data. 

Yet creating each dashboard is an annoying and time consuming process. For each map change, we have to manually setup every single gadget on the Dashboard, reconnect every single interaction, setup the same filters. But I feel kind dumb because while we changed the data, all data is organized on the exact same way. Same fields, domains, layers, we only changes the town.

At the moment this is how we create new dashboards: we open an template, add a new map on top of it, and now go trough every single gadget and link it from old map to the new map. It is specially time consuming when we have to work trough filters and actions that affect another gadgets. 

I wonder if there is any way to make the procedure a little more efficient. A way to setup a dashboard with a template map, and change the map/layers and everything now connect to this new data. I'm not exactly full automation or any fancy solution, but our current method feel kind primitive. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would suggest a Save As... and then edit the json via ArcGIS Online Assistant. Usually, there are only a few things that have to be changed, e.g. Webmap ID, Feature Layer ID and Feature Layer URL. Find and replace these in the json, save the udpates and test. It can take some time to work out, but once you have it you'll know for next time.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
VivekMalleshappa
Esri Contributor

Hi Gustavo, 

Would creating copies of a dashboard work for you? Check out this blog by my colleague David Nyenhuis: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/operations-dashboard-for-arcgis/blog/2018/05/1... 

-Vivek. 

Gustavo_Souza
New Contributor III

No, because that is exactly that I'm doing. I copy the dashboard but I need to change the data. If I change the data, I have to reconfigure every single gadget and how it interacts with others, even when they proprieties and configuration are the same. 

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In that case I would use Michael Kelly‌'s suggestion to Save As, then use the AGOL Assistant to modify the json. I've done this many times to modify dashboards that have a huge number of widgets. The only thing I was changing was the data source (itemId in the json).

https://community.esri.com/thread/237825-how-to-duplicate-an-operations-dashboard 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would suggest a Save As... and then edit the json via ArcGIS Online Assistant. Usually, there are only a few things that have to be changed, e.g. Webmap ID, Feature Layer ID and Feature Layer URL. Find and replace these in the json, save the udpates and test. It can take some time to work out, but once you have it you'll know for next time.

Gustavo_Souza
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot. It does not feels right, but it indeed work!

WillHughes
New Contributor III

You can do a save as and update the json in AOA, however you have to apply configurations again to all dashboard elements (indicators, selectors, etc.) 

0 Kudos
PaulHoefflerGISS
Occasional Contributor III

We too have found that using the Assistant creates a dashboard that needs most of the widgets reconfigured or replaced. This is an outstanding issue, and I'm working with one of our users on this today. A better solution would be great...

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gustavo, 

Please vote for this enhancement on the ArcGIS Ideas forum,

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14350

Hope this helps,

Gustavo_Souza
New Contributor III

Good to know that a lot of people also have the same issue. Hopefully they add an update soon.