Select to view content in your preferred language

Indicator using Living Atlas Data

Jump to solution
07-25-2023 12:18 PM
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

So I have been trying to replicate the following indicator/map/details as shown in the following screenshot. The screenshot was captured from FEMA Geospatial Resource Center. Now let's say I want to get the Hurricane info from USA Weather Watches and Warnings.

How can I first add the layer to an indicator? Because when I use my organizational account to add this layer to an `Indicator`, it does not give me the option to add data from the `living atlas`.

How can I then connect the indicator to get the `Hurricane Watch` data (live data) from this layer?

SaadullahBaloch_0-1690312690215.png

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IssyAmis
Esri Contributor

Hi @Ed_ 

I hope you're having a good day!

Your two options for this workflow are to add the Living Atlas layer to a map that you are using in the dashboard, or by adding the layer in through a data expression. For this last option, take a look through this blog article which should provide you with all the steps you need to achieve this: Add Context to your Dashboards using Data Expressions + Living Atlas (esri.com).

Please do let me know if you have any trouble with this or have any follow up questions.

Thanks!

Issy

View solution in original post

9 Replies
IssyAmis
Esri Contributor

Hi @Ed_ 

I hope you're having a good day!

Your two options for this workflow are to add the Living Atlas layer to a map that you are using in the dashboard, or by adding the layer in through a data expression. For this last option, take a look through this blog article which should provide you with all the steps you need to achieve this: Add Context to your Dashboards using Data Expressions + Living Atlas (esri.com).

Please do let me know if you have any trouble with this or have any follow up questions.

Thanks!

Issy

Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

@IssyAmis thank you for the guidance, it does indeed help. However, I do have a follow up question. Is there a way to pull data from Active Hurricanes, Cyclones and Typhoons close (now I am thinking how would you define close or let's say in the vicinity) to Florida? 

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

As you can see in my code below, I am pulling the data from the layer `Watches and Warnings` (layer 5). 

Now since currently there are no storms under watches and warnings, how can I return a message like "Currently there are no Storms under watches and warning"?

And then let's say if there is a storm under watches and warning then how can I returns its name(s) along with storm count (if more than one)?

// Define inputs to FeatureSet functions:
// Portal
// ArcGIS Online item ID
var itemID = "248e7b5827a34b248647afb012c58787"
// REST layer ID - In this case, Observed Position
var layerID = 5
// Fields to include. Default is all
var fields = ['STORMNAME']
// Include geometries? Default is true
var geo = true
// Set up the FeatureSet with which to call:
var FS = FeatureSetByPortalItem(Portal(port), itemID, layerID, fields, geo)
// Return the set of features to use within indicator:
return FS

SaadullahBaloch_0-1691441808828.png

0 Kudos
IssyAmis
Esri Contributor

Hi @Ed_ 

You should be able to achieve this through the "indicator options" settings on the indicator. If you take a look at my screenshot below, I believe this is a basic version of what you are hoping to achieve:

IssyAmis_0-1691581387726.png

In terms of returning the names of the storms, I'm not too sure this will function well in an indicator as this may be a lot of information. You may instead what to look into using a list widget alongside this to show the list of storms?

Thank you,

Issy

Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Good morning Issy, thank you for your guidance on that. Can you please tell me what layer were you using?

And also how can I return storms that are close to Florida and exclude the rest?

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Lastly, how can I add a hurricane icon similar to the one shown below to the indicator card?

SaadullahBaloch_1-1691441987197.png

PS Apologies for asking multiple questions at once.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

I did find this article, Use icons  to embed a custom icon. However, when I try to embed the icon from this link using the `copy image address` URL, it doesn't work.  So let's say if I were to embed the icon from this website, how will I do it?

Also in the `Useicons` article, the icon is being grabbed from the `w3` website but I wasn't able to find any svg icons.  

0 Kudos
IssyAmis
Esri Contributor

Hi @Ed_ 

You should be able to do this by saving that SVG to your files (as an svg) and then opening that in a notebook. You can then copy that code into the custom icon section and the image should appear.

Thanks!

Issy

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Nice so, the custom code will pick up a local path say `C:/Folder/File_Name.svg`?

0 Kudos