How to display the date as indicator (or similar)

Jump to solution
08-30-2021 01:30 AM
Tobias
by
New Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm trying to set up a new Dashboard. My configuration: 

- Web-Map with feature layer of the communities and the boarders (25), which contain the daily number of "new positive covid-cases". Only one daily datasat plus the date

- Table with history files (for charts/diagrams)

The feature layer with the current data is to be updated daily. 

I am now trying to display the date from the feature layer to show the user the "latest update". But the dashboard does not show the date. When I try to select "feature", the date is not available. When I select "statistic" i don't get the correct results. The column format is "date". 

Is there a way to display the date without creating another table? Am I missing something?

Best regards

Tobias

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

That could work, but I see where you're coming from for scalability. If you load an indicator, you can filter features using date fields if i'm not mistaken. I loaded in one of mine and it is under the Data Options tab, just below layer. There you can apply a filter to the indicator that would work the same as having a list with a limiter. May work for your data one in the same. Both options are feasible, revisiting this with some extra caffeine got me to thinking and the filter may be a safer option as scale becomes a factor for you.

Hope this helps get closer to solving it for you Tobias, great question!

God bless,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM

View solution in original post

Tobias
by
New Contributor II

Oh my.. I did just that with the list. Didn't occur to me to try it with the indicator. Maybe because the date wasn't selectable under "data field". 

So the solution is: 

- set a filter for one line of the feature layer. (in my case FID in Range of 1 to 1)

- set indicator -> text (middle) -> "Latest Update: {date}"

That works like a charm. Thanks a bunch, Jansen!

Best regards

Tobias

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GIS_Fox

If your data is published as a hosted feature service on AGOL the date may become available. Certain indicator fields cannot load in indicators because of source layer status. That would be my first guess and attempt at showing date. Customization for the indicator is the easy part, so I would check the data itself, such as source, publication status, and what format your date is coming in as in regards to what field you show. Last edit date, create date, or some manually made fields may be simple enough to show based on time filters in the dashboard, but indicators may be different. I would leave that open to more experienced members of the dashboards community on that aspect.

Hopefully this helps some, best regards,

0 Kudos
Tobias
by
New Contributor II

Hi Jansen, 

Thanks for your input. The data is inside a hosted feature map with the format "date". I've added another column as format "text" which is also not selectable via indicator. Pity. 

My work-around is a list-element with only one entry. The only downside to that is the reduced scale-ability. Indicators work much better when you work with different screen sizes. The list gets cut off or squeezed if the user is viewing on a small screen (or rather small resolulition). With 160k potential viewers that is about to happen once or twice ... 

But I think it'll do. Thank you. Unless you have another idea? 

Best regards

Tobias

GIS_Fox

That could work, but I see where you're coming from for scalability. If you load an indicator, you can filter features using date fields if i'm not mistaken. I loaded in one of mine and it is under the Data Options tab, just below layer. There you can apply a filter to the indicator that would work the same as having a list with a limiter. May work for your data one in the same. Both options are feasible, revisiting this with some extra caffeine got me to thinking and the filter may be a safer option as scale becomes a factor for you.

Hope this helps get closer to solving it for you Tobias, great question!

God bless,

Tobias
by
New Contributor II

Oh my.. I did just that with the list. Didn't occur to me to try it with the indicator. Maybe because the date wasn't selectable under "data field". 

So the solution is: 

- set a filter for one line of the feature layer. (in my case FID in Range of 1 to 1)

- set indicator -> text (middle) -> "Latest Update: {date}"

That works like a charm. Thanks a bunch, Jansen!

Best regards

Tobias

GIS_Fox

Hi Tobias,

Awesome, glad to hear that works for you! Nicely put to on your solution. If date is going to be an issue you can also do filters based on ranges or other factors on that same filter workflow under your indicators. Play around and see what will work under scale and size of device, too. 

Glad I could be of help, best wishes on your dashboard!

Cheers! 🙂 

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas here. I liked the idea above however because I am appending to my layer, the object IDs are not reliable and go up each time. 

To share, I ended up using a List and filtering for 1 record (any record, since they all share the same date value)... will work for now. 

BrittanyBurson_0-1660591942139.png