Dashboard indicator arcade script

Jump to solution
08-19-2021 06:33 AM
AdrianPatrulescu
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am new to arcade scripts

I want to select unique values from two columns and sum one of them

If I go to edit Dashboard + indicator and press new data expression the following script works:

var features = FeatureSetByPortalItem( Portal('https://www.arcgis.com'), '98cca0ba2d58470b96061faa24421e66', 0, ['ID_FCC', 'RestorationArea','RestorationType'], false );
var filterFeatures = Filter(features, "RestorationType <> 'Riparian'");
var distinctFeatures = Distinct(filterFeatures,['ID_FCC','RestorationArea']);
Sum(distinctFeatures, 'RestorationArea')

If I press done the Data expressions shows: ! Unable to execute Arcade script

Is there another way to implement distinct filter to an indicator?

thank you

best regards

Adrian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As @KenBuja points out, you need to get your results into a FeatureSet. This gives you two options:

Populate an Empty FeatureSet

Following the linked example from Ken's post, or similar examples on GitHub, you need to create a dict object and then use that Sum(...) value to populate an attribute there.

var fs_dict = {
    fields: [{name: 'Sum', 'type':'esriFieldTypeDouble'}],
    geometryType: '',
    features: [{attributes: {'Sum': 0}}]
}

fs_dict['features'][0]['attributes']['Sum'] = Sum(distinctFeatures, 'RestorationArea')

return FeatureSet(Text(fs_dict))

But honestly, that's way more work than it's worth. There's a simpler way.

Use the Indicator's Built-In Aggregation

Using the same expression you've shared in your post, simply omit the Sum and instead return the distinctFeatures FeatureSet. Then on the indicator settings, set the Value Type to Statistic, set Statistic to Sum and select the field you want to sum.

jcarlson_0-1629384608014.png

GroupBy?

All that said, I am curious about what the Distinct function is actually doing here, since you're just returning a single sum. GroupBy can group distinct values from a field and perform a statistical calculation on any number of fields, if you were looking for the sum of the area per ID.

GroupBy(filterFeatures, 'ID_FCC', { name: 'Total_Area', expression: 'RestorationArea', statistic: 'SUM' })

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A data expression expects a Featureset as a data source, so you have to do some more work when you want to return Sum. Take a look at this discussion.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As @KenBuja points out, you need to get your results into a FeatureSet. This gives you two options:

Populate an Empty FeatureSet

Following the linked example from Ken's post, or similar examples on GitHub, you need to create a dict object and then use that Sum(...) value to populate an attribute there.

var fs_dict = {
    fields: [{name: 'Sum', 'type':'esriFieldTypeDouble'}],
    geometryType: '',
    features: [{attributes: {'Sum': 0}}]
}

fs_dict['features'][0]['attributes']['Sum'] = Sum(distinctFeatures, 'RestorationArea')

return FeatureSet(Text(fs_dict))

But honestly, that's way more work than it's worth. There's a simpler way.

Use the Indicator's Built-In Aggregation

Using the same expression you've shared in your post, simply omit the Sum and instead return the distinctFeatures FeatureSet. Then on the indicator settings, set the Value Type to Statistic, set Statistic to Sum and select the field you want to sum.

jcarlson_0-1629384608014.png

GroupBy?

All that said, I am curious about what the Distinct function is actually doing here, since you're just returning a single sum. GroupBy can group distinct values from a field and perform a statistical calculation on any number of fields, if you were looking for the sum of the area per ID.

GroupBy(filterFeatures, 'ID_FCC', { name: 'Total_Area', expression: 'RestorationArea', statistic: 'SUM' })

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AdrianPatrulescu
New Contributor III

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your quick response

Using Indicator's Built-In Aggregation worked for me

var features = FeatureSetByPortalItem( Portal('https://www.arcgis.com'), '98cca0ba2d58470b96061faa24421e66', 0, ['ID_FCC', 'RestorationArea','RestorationType'], false );
return distinctFeatures

And after I use sum statistic on the field 'RestorationArea'

Group by - is not my case because I want to sum only once one ID, not to sum the area per ID

Thank you again

Adrian

0 Kudos
AdrianPatrulescu
New Contributor III

Hi Josh,

I have another question regarding this topic

var features = FeatureSetByPortalItem( Portal('https://www.arcgis.com'), '98cca0ba2d58470b96061faa24421e66', 0, ['ID_FCC', 'RestorationArea','RestorationType','Project','HabitatRestored','Date'], false );
return distinctFeatures

The above feature set return only ID_FCC  and RestorationArea columns together with ROW_ID

But I want to return also the fields from FeatureSetByPortalItem

Apparently Distinct Function remove other columns 

Is there a way to rejoin all the fields base on ROW_ID?

Thanks

Adrian

0 Kudos