Crime Dashboard Configuration Questions

02-25-2022 04:45 AM
JD1016
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I've recently began experimenting with dashboards to support our police department.  I have created a hosted feature layer, added a few fields, created lists for some fields, added the edit tool to a web application so staff can add locations based on incidence, and linked this hosted layer to a dashboard to provide "at a glance" information for other users.  At this point all information is tied to this manually updated hosted feature layer.

In my research of dashboards I came across a link provided by Derek Law of ESRI (thank you Derek).  This link connected you with a really nice example of an interactive crime dashboard being utilized by the City of Philadelphia. After accessing this link you can actually copy the dashboard and peel back the curtain on how some of the windows work and get some really valuable ideas for using the data you have to assist your audience. This brings me to my questions...

This dashboard has time blocks, days of the week, date and time in two separate fields, and a wealth of other field headings.  I would like to use time of day and days of the week to imitate what they provide because I think it would be valuable information in illustrating and potentially predicting patterns.

In creating a hosted feature layer through AGO, date and time are in the same field. How can you create a date/time field, a date field, a time field, and a day of the week field in AGO?

Is the information for the Philadelphia dashboard coming from some other source, integrated with dispatch, or an export from an entirely different program?  That's a lot of information and I don't see someone entering that manually like we do in a limited fashion now with our hosted feature layer.

To access the Philadelphia dashboard use the following link provided by Derek Law:

Philadelphia Dashboard Link 

Any words of wisdom you can provide would be great.  I'm just trying to make our system the best it can be for our officers in the field.

Thank you.

Jeff

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KarstenRank

Hello Jeff,

in my opinion 2 fields for date and time are not necessary. In all my dashoards I built for our police authority I use always one field for date/time.

Have you had a look on ArcGIS Arcade? It is possible to create variables, and Arcade has functions wor weekday and hours.

You can create filter with these created variables.

Greetings Karsten 

0 Kudos
JD1016
by

Hello Karsten,

Thank you for responding to my posting.

The Philadelphia demo dashboard that I included as a hyperlink above, features a "Time of Day" as a Category Selector and it appears mapped to a field called TimeBlock.  I would like to be able to indicate the time of day a crime occurred but having both Date and Time in the same field hinders that, from my present perspective.  Hence, why I was wondering about needing separate fields.  Are you using Time as a way of indicating something similar in your crime dashboards?

I hadn't considered Arcade.  I don't have any experience really working with it other than I have "some" things in my Citizen Responder app utilizing Arcade which was already created for me.  I'll have to check that out.  Thank you for that suggestion.

Jeff

0 Kudos
KarstenRank

So you see the Time of Day comes from TimeBlock. You can create this in your data or with arcade.

Karsten

0 Kudos
JD1016
by

I've been able to apply two Arcade functions; Hour(dateValue) and Weekday(dateValue) in the pop-up configuration for my hosted feature layer.  Unfortunately, this information does not register with my dashboard in that these calculated fields do not show up.  I've read that others have similar issues and have created data expressions inside dashboard to compensate.  However, I have not found any documentation that specifically speaks to how I may implement this on the dashboard side successfully in terms that are easy to understand as I am a novice at Arcade.  Very frustrating.

0 Kudos