Cascading Selects from Survey123

11-15-2018 01:50 AM
JoshHarris2
New Contributor II

I have an operations dashboard which is being fed with data from Survey123. The survey contains lots of cascading selects. I am using a combination of "List" and "Details" widgets on Operations Dashboard. Rather than data appearing in these widgets as the "label" column from Survey123, it is displaying the "name" column.

I have attached a screenshot below. S145 is the "name", and the "label" is "Aluminium" - this is what I need displayed.

TIA!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Josh,

> Rather than data appearing in these widgets as the "label" column from Survey123, it is displaying the "name" column.

What you're seeing is expected behavior. The elements from Operations Dashboard will display the name of the attribute fields from the feature service. In the case of Survey123, the "name" column contains the field names; the "label" column is simply an alias. To view the label values, you will have to re-apply these values to the "name" column of the Choices worksheet in your XLS Form.

Hope this helps,

JoshHarris2
New Contributor II

Hi Derek,

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't think renaming the name column to match the label column is possible in this instance, as there are thousands of choices, some of which have duplicated labels. This is why I have created a unique name (i.e. S145).

Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Josh

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Josh,

> I don't think renaming the name column to match the label column is possible in this instance, as there are thousands of choices, some of which have duplicated labels.

As I stated previously, the elements in Operations Dashboard will display the name of the attribute fields from the feature service. And yes, you would need to provide a unique name for each individual column in the table. Unfortunately, there is no workaround, as the app is working as designed.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
JoshHarris2
New Contributor II

Hi Derek,

To get around this, I used jr:choice-name(). In the XLSForm, I added a hidden field beneath the field that was displaying the name instead of the label. I was then able to reference this new, hidden field in Operations Dashboard, which now displays the label.

The information regarding this functionality was picked up from here https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/12/02/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-xlsform-fu...

Many thanks

Josh

DerekLaw

Hi Josh,

Thanks for posting and letting me know this workaround. I learned something new!

Best,