Calculate Total Values From Points Within A Polygon

06-13-2021 09:51 PM
GarrettRSmith
Occasional Contributor II

Hello

This is my first go round with using Dashboard and I was wondering if it is possible to calculate values by using polygons (study areas) and points (observations)?

For example, I have a polygon file that represents study areas within my research site. Within these polygons are points that represents observations taken and have attributes that are mostly counts (i.e., number of damaged trees). Is there a way to display total values from the points within the polygon within the Dashboard? That is, if I have study area A that has 100+ observations within it, can I calculate the total number of damaged trees in that study area (polygon) using the attribute table from the observations (points)?

Let me know if this is confusing.

Thanks and have a great one.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You can add an indicator, use the point feature service as input and display 'count'.  Then add an action to your map, set the polygon to filter the points.

GarrettRSmith
Occasional Contributor II

Hi David

Thanks so much for the response.

I set up the indicators (Fire Rings and Damaged Trees), however now I am confused about how to set the action on the map and set the polygon to filter the points so that when I click on the polygon it will display the total in for the polygon instead of the entire dataset.

I have included screen shots.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm guessing your selection polygon is campside areas?

If so, 'When Selection Changes For': camspide study areas -> 'Add Action' -> 'Filter' -> 'Add Target' -> select your points. 

OK everything then at the top-left of you map you should now have a selection cursor to use to filter the fire points.

0 Kudos