Cache issue with Chrome - widgets not updating

Jump to solution
03-09-2022 12:03 PM
PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

I've been using Dashboards in 10.7.1 for a couple years with no problem. I generally use Chrome as my browser. I just upgraded to Portal 10.9.1 in a test environment and am setting up a new dashboard. I noticed that my widgets (namely a counter and a serial chart) were not updating after adding new features. Even if I close the browser and re-open.

I found that if I manually clear the cache in Chrome, then I can get it to refresh to the correct numbers...once. Then it goes back to being "stuck" until I clear the cache again.

Everything works fine in Edge...if I refresh the browser, the widgets update approprately without need of messing with the browser cache.

Any ideas? Is Chrome no longer supported in 10.9.1? Or is there some browser setting that I'm missing? Like I said, all of my dashboards work just fine in Chrome at 10.7.1.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

Okay, I got this figured out...I ended up going into Chrome settings and resetting/restoring Chrome to original defaults (which cleared cache, cookies, and probably other things), and then everything in the Dashboard is working again. I guess something got wonky in my local instance of Chrome.

PaulPetersen1_0-1646927851199.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Other than clearing the cache as you stated, the only way I have found to get Chrome to "reliably" clear the cached data for a page is by:

Enter Developer mode ( ... more tools, developer tools OR F12), then right-click on the reload page icon and select Empty Cache and Hard Reload, then, as it is loading, you can close the developer window.

RhettZufelt_0-1646867635982.png

R_

PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks that does work. But basically this makes Chrome entirely unviable for Operations Dashboard (since most end-users won't want to go through those steps). I'm just baffled because Chrome worked fine in 10.7.1 and it also seems to work fine in AGO.

RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

my experience with Chrome is random.  sometimes it works as expected, sometimes it doesn't.  going back all the way to Flexviewer 🙂

PaulPetersen1
Occasional Contributor

Okay, I got this figured out...I ended up going into Chrome settings and resetting/restoring Chrome to original defaults (which cleared cache, cookies, and probably other things), and then everything in the Dashboard is working again. I guess something got wonky in my local instance of Chrome.

PaulPetersen1_0-1646927851199.png

RobbHodges
Occasional Contributor III

This seems to be a temporary fix for me. Eventually it goes back to not updating the information. Like some others have mentioned, this seems to be limited to our own map services and not data stored on agol. 

0 Kudos
BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

I was able to have an ESRI tech reproduce it on his side.  FYI you'll see slightly different result with map vs feature services.  Bug is BUG-000146814.  It appears to have started with 10.9.1 and affect any map or feature service with (at least at this point) its data coming from a SQL database.  We tested with hosted (in my case Portal but would be teh same for AGOL) and it was not affected.  I was able to go a step further outside of dashboard and see stale data at the rest endpoint when querying 1=1.  Resolution for me was using a feature service and adding tables via arcade expressions.  

BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

There is a bug out there for a issue similar to what you are seeing.  I'm experiencing stale data in Chrome, Edge, Firefox for the list and indicator widget.  If i use a feature service then just indicator is stale. If you use just map services then the list and indicator are stale.  I tried resetting settings in both Edge and Chrome and still see the issue.  Bug number is #BUG-000146814.  Same kind of deal, upgraded from 10.8.1 to 10.9.1 and now see the issue.  I found that if you use feature services and then add them into the dashboard using Arcade with its refresh then the indicator will work. 

PaulVepraskas
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the tip, could you share the work on how to add it to the dashboard using Arcade?

0 Kudos
BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

Sure thing. 

Ensure data is published as  feature service.  

Click the + button to add a new widget.  If the widget is already created, hit the change button beside the data source.  

In the Data Expressions section click the  New data expression button.

In the expression panel, enter the following.

var features = FeatureSetByPortalItem(Portal('web address to your portal goes here.'), 'enter Service Item ID here.', number of item in Feature Service.);
Return features;

If you go to the rest end point of your feature service/map service you will see a field for Service Item ID (big guid).  You can also get the index number of the item you want from this window.  Example of what it should look like below.

var features = FeatureSetByPortalItem(Portal('https://testPortal.BigGISCompany.com/portal'), 'e5967f4c7a9541f69d8ae0789e707200', 0);
Return features;

Be sure to name the expression and put a refresh time up at the top, that is key.  Then hit Done and use this data source for whichever widgets you need.  

0 Kudos