Select to view content in your preferred language

single-click map selection to update widgets

06-10-2021 08:45 AM
KevinMcMaster2
New Contributor III

@DerekLaw  I’m trying to enable Dashboard map-click functionality where when a user clicks on a feature in a map, the widgets in the dashboard update to reflect that selection. Currently, just getting a pop-up (with no widget update) when a feature is clicked on. I know that if I enable the “selection” action, then the user is presented with a non-intuitive selection tool they have to use to select a feature (which then updates the widgets), but that seems really kludge.

I’ve run into this request multiple times for various clients, and usually end up using pick-lists and dropdowns to force a single selection, but it really shouldn’t be that complicated. See a couple of non-Esri solutions that intuitively do what I’m trying to do:

https://capitalprojects.seattle.gov/

https://capitalplanning.nyc.gov/facilities

Thank you!

26 Comments
patrickb
Status changed to: In Product Plan

With the June 2023 update of ArcGIS Dashboards (approx. June 14), we will make map selection workflows more intuitive. When layer actions are configured, dashboard users simply need to click a feature on the map to select it. There will no longer the requirement to activate a selection tool or to choose a layer when features from more than one layer are selected. The new click-it-to-select-it behavior is automatically enabled when layer actions are configured. If you (as the dashboard author) prefer giving your users the choice to select multiple features within a certain area, you have the option to add a rectangle selection tool to your map. To preserve the built-in map navigation (such as pan), this tool must be activated by the user before each rectangle is drawn on the map. Other new/improved functionality includes using the Shift key to add to a selection, and clicking an empty space on the map will clear the selection.

TanGnar

YOOOO! This is awesome news! 

wayfaringrob

That is a great solution. Thank you for the update. Looking forward to it.

KevinMcMaster2

@patrickb this is excellent news, and I'm guessing so that I don't have to corner you at Esri UC like I did at Dev summit 😉 Thank you and the team's hard work on improving this functionality! 

Kevin

patrickb
Status changed to: Implemented

Please review that what's new documentation for the June 2023 release of ArcGIS Dashboards.  

See also community blog post by Dashboards team member @FriederikeAlschner  

KevinMcMaster2

@patrickb the layer action functionality works really well in the desktop view, but unless I'm missing a step, it doesn't seem to be available for mobile view maps? Is that on the roadmap?