single-click map selection to update widgets

2 weeks ago
KevinMcMaster2
New Contributor III

@DerekLaw  I’m trying to enable Dashboard map-click functionality where when a user clicks on a feature in a map, the widgets in the dashboard update to reflect that selection. Currently, just getting a pop-up (with no widget update) when a feature is clicked on. I know that if I enable the “selection” action, then the user is presented with a non-intuitive selection tool they have to use to select a feature (which then updates the widgets), but that seems really kludge.

I’ve run into this request multiple times for various clients, and usually end up using pick-lists and dropdowns to force a single selection, but it really shouldn’t be that complicated. See a couple of non-Esri solutions that intuitively do what I’m trying to do:

https://capitalprojects.seattle.gov/

https://capitalplanning.nyc.gov/facilities

Thank you!

2 Comments
JamieLambert

"the user is presented with a non-intuitive selection tool". I agree with this. The UI needs to be improved. And it would be good to be able to allow the selection tool to remain active.

I have suggested to at least expose all selection tools when using map layer actions rather than have a dropdown: Map layer selection tool layout. Even with the current dropdown setup, the default selection option needs to be configurable or automatically default to the last selection made by the user.

Map_Layer_Selection_Tools_Layout.png

The selection can also be made from the pop-up, though I prefer to use the Details element rather than the pop-up for most of my Dashboards.

Select_from_popup.png

Jamie.

DerekLaw

Hi @KevinMcMaster2

Belated thanks for your post. I responded to your direct email 2 weeks ago, but forgot to update this post.

@JamieLambert

Belated thanks for your comments to help provide more context on this enhancement.

We'll wait and see the level of interest from the user community to help us prioritize this item.

Hope this helps,