Select to view content in your preferred language

More query operators for the Category Selector in ArcGIS Online Operations Dashboard

12-27-2018 03:17 PM
Zach_Robinson
New Contributor III

The Category Selector in Operations Dashboard currently allows Single choice selections and Multiple choice selections. The query operators for Multiple choice selections are "include" or "does not include." These operators do not offer the same functionality as the operators "contains" or "does not contain." ESRI Customer Support explained this to me in an email:

I've done some digging into this issue and I think I've pinpointed the confusion.The 'include' operator works as an 'equals' operator when only one value is selected, works as an 'IN' operator when multiple values are selected, but never works as a 'contains' operator. This means that the query is looking for fields that exactly match the string you've configured as the query value. The result of this is that when you select multiple values, for example [category1] AND [category2], the category selector will filter to show only features that have [category1] OR [category2] as the value for the selected field. However, a feature that has the value of [category1,category2] would not be shown because the value is not an exact match despite containing both search terms.

My idea is to add two additional operators to the Category Selector in Operations Dashboard: "contains" and "does not contain." These operators will allow querying categories that are comma-separated in a single field. (This comma-separated format is standard for Multiple Choice data from Survey123.)

59 Comments
Amanda__Huber

I will add our voice to this as well. @RobertAnderson3 is right, there are a lot of pain points in Experience Builder right now. 

@Robert  maybe post a community article in the EB space about it?

MarcCavallaro

@RobertAnderson3 and @Amanda__Huber 

To add on to the thread hijack, I completely agree, ExB leaves a lot to be desired.  Simple functions such as filtering multiple layers at once now require custom development to enable functionality that already exists in WAB.  Esri's timeline for switch over is going to be a problem for a lot of organizations that have many applications built on WAB with out of the box functionality that does not exist in ExB.  Esri's first priority should be parity with existing WAB widgets if they want their customers to have a smooth transition.  Not every organization that has implemented WAB apps will have the bandwidth or money to pay consultants to develop custom functionality in ExB that was standard in WAB. I will post these sentiments on other appropriate threads but needed to vent now.  

RobertAnderson3

@MarcCavallaro @Amanda__Huber 

To end the hijacking of the idea, I've created an idea for my current leading issue with ExB to replace a Shortlist app.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-ideas/change-view-when-selection-is-made-on-...

And the filter multiple idea exists in several threads, but here's one that seems to aggregate them:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-ideas/apply-single-filter-to-multiple-map-la...

JerrySneary

Hi @RobertAnderson3 ,

How does the Contains option work? I've got two different projects that I've tried it on and I can't figure out how to input the contained value/values. Both projects' feature layer is from Survey123-created layers that have select multiple questions. As you know it stores those answers as a CSV. This idea was created for this exact reason but I can't figure it out.

Kind regards,

Gerald

RobertAnderson3

Hi @JerrySneary 

In Ops Dashboard it is a Category selector, under Data, I have it set to Defined values, you would input each of your select multiple choice list options you want to be able to filter by here.

Then under Selector, in the Operator options there should be equal, not equal, contains. Select contains and this should allow it to work.

JerrySneary

Hi @RobertAnderson3 ,

That worked. I became singularly focused because of this idea being implemented. What does Contains do? I'm confused about how it works. From this Idea and the Idea HERE I thought Contains did what Define Values is doing.

Kind regards,

Jerry

RobertAnderson3

@JerrySneary 

For the select_multiple example, the data would have a entries such as:
1) value1, value2, value3
2) value2, value3
3) value1, value3

You would like Define Values of:
value1
value2
value3

CONTAINS would allow the user to pick value1 as their filter and it would return 1) and 3) because it is in both rows, but not the only data in that row. It finds any row that has the defined value anywhere in it.

AllisonLehn1

@patrickb Following up on this idea: very happy to see it implemented in some capacity, but I would really like to be able to use it in ArcGIS Enterprise. Is there a timeline that we can be expecting that?

ISP_graynic

@AllisonLehn1 @patrickb 

Any updates on the "contains" category selector option on Enterprise yet? I tried doing this in Experience Builder it just seems to clunky. 

Has anyone else figured out any workarounds for filtering select_multiple fields from Survey123 in a dashboard on Enterprise?