What tablet to buy?

06-07-2014 08:34 PM
DavidBrink-Roby
New Contributor
I'm trying to integrate a mapping software into my field research and was looking for recommendations on tablets.
I'm a geology grad student, I deal with large map areas, geologic maps, would like satellite imagery, would like to input data points, and have no cell or wifi signal.

I think I need the collector app which does not work with windows tablets or convertible PCs, but am not sure. Am I correct in thinking that an android tablet is the way to go? If anyone has specific tablet recommendation that would be helpful as well!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JessicaGooch1
Occasional Contributor
We are currently using the Collector app with an iPad Air and it is working great.
I have not had any experience using an android tablet.  I am sure someone else here can recommend something.

-Jessica
0 Kudos
rabbysk
New Contributor
You can buy google nexus 7 it,s a awesome tablet. It,s support latest android apk/os version so you can play all kinds apps
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Just make sure if you are going to use it offline that the tablet has a GPS in it.  Some of the cheap ones do not.  We picked up Samsung Tab 2s on closeout for 129 bucks.  Work great.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
We use iPads and they work well. 

We also have a number of Motion Tablet PC's which work exceptionally well. 

If your going to deal with large map areas, satellite imagery and not be on a network of some kind then memory and speed are going to be cruical.  Go 32gb iPad

I'm trying to integrate a mapping software into my field research and was looking for recommendations on tablets.
I'm a geology grad student, I deal with large map areas, geologic maps, would like satellite imagery, would like to input data points, and have no cell or wifi signal.

I think I need the collector app which does not work with windows tablets or convertible PCs, but am not sure. Am I correct in thinking that an android tablet is the way to go? If anyone has specific tablet recommendation that would be helpful as well!
0 Kudos