Use of related data in Collector for ArcGIS

01-18-2018 12:37 PM
DavidHume
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out the best way to structure my data to allow our surveyors to capture data in the field with Collector.

They need to go out and survey trees and their defects. There is a many to one relationship between defects and the tree so I want to use related data so when they are in the field they can capture some overarching information about the tree, i.e. species, height, etc. and then for each defect they identify they'll then capture specific information. The information being captured for each defect is the same (same fields) but the type of defect will vary.

Can Collector use related data and how does this present itself to the surveyor, i.e. do they capture a point for the tree and then add tabular data for each of the defects?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

David.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes - Collector could use related data. The trees will become a Point in collector and when you open the popup for the tree you could se/add/edit/delete the related defect/defects.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

David,

This blog post will also be helpful. 

Related Tables – Exploring New Ways to use Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog 

You will want to make sure your relationship classes are based on a GlobalID-GUID relationship since Collector will only be able to maintain those kinds of relationships

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo
Occasional Contributor II

David,

We currently use this set-up for our city wide tree inventory. We have a point feature class representing each tree with data that is inherent to that tree (species, condition, size) and then a related table (one-to-many) for all of our maintenance records (trimmings, inspections ect.) 

We have also managed a similar system with collector and Survey123 for our hydrants. 

0 Kudos