Update existing field, Related ID lost

10-19-2020 06:43 PM
CristianGraf
New Contributor II

Hello all,

Here's my problem. We have a point layer in Collector which is currently in use.

The customer gave us a list of accessories attached to a point layer. We proceeded to the creation of a relational table between the points and a table. Everything is working. The point ID is linked to the table and inspections can take place. Where we have a problem is when a new point is created. All these new points have the same ID and the relationship is no longer made.All new entry has the same value.

Can I use the calculate method in this field? Can it be automatically concatenated with the objectID? Other solutions to create a random ID on the same field used to create the relationship?

Need to find a solution... it's start to be a very long process manually.

Thank you.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I don't know anything about collector, so bare with me.

How are your IDs generated for the new points?  Is the 'accessories' table already created before the points?  I'm a little confused with:

All these new points have the same ID and the relationship is no longer made.All new entry has the same value.

That statement indicates you now have a many to one or many to many relationship.  How is the initial relationship determined?

More questions than answers, but perhaps if you can address these, you may find what you are looking for.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
CristianGraf
New Contributor II

Thank you for your replay!

So I got this table with coordinates that help me buid my point layers (Hydrants). Each of this points has unique Id's. In the other hand I had this other table with multiples accessories (Hydrant components) witch had they unique ID's and also the ID of the point layer. So various accessories can be related to 1 hydrant (1:M). I built the relationship with this unique ID.

Know, the client is collecting new hydrants and adding new accessories. The problem is that this new points have the same ID (Default value= 9999). When new accessories are added, all of them have the 9999 default code who's the related ID.

I'm trying to find a way to make a random default value, take the value of the object ID or concatenate 2 values together when creating the point of the new Hydrant. I need an different ID for any new created point. 

Tested Solution: Arcade it's creating a new field, I didin't found any examples to automatically calculate the field one new entries are done. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Again since I'm not well versed in Collector, I can only make a suggestion: take a look at Geodatabse Sequences.  They dovetail well into arcade attribute rules.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you creating the related data from the parent point or are you just using the big blue + sign on the map?   You need to open the parent and create the child from inside there.  Then it will bring over the key automatically.  I use it all the time.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos