Unable to install Collector for ArcGIS

Jump to solution
05-01-2018 08:57 AM
DirkPeterson5
New Contributor

I am unable to load Collector onto a new Windows 10 laptop.  I have to use my admin credentials to install, and my admin does not allow me access to the internet so I downloaded Collector_for_ArcGIS_Windows_1801.exe from ESRI.  I copied it to the desktop of the laptop and double clicked to install.  It extracted the package fine, but when I click on the APPXBUNDLE file to install I get the error:

Ask the developer for a new app package.  This package may conflict with a package already installed, or it depends on things not installed here, or is made for a different architecture (0x80073CF3) 

I have no ideas on what to try to install it now.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanEscobar
New Contributor II

Hi Dirk,

Would you mind trying the following steps, I had really good success with them:

1. Enable "Sideload apps" in the the developer settings ( Settings--->Update & Security--->For developers)

2. Within the folder that you extracted the Collector for ArcGIS install files, double-click and install the following files:
          a. Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3_1.3.24201.0_x64
          b. Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_x64
          c. Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Universal_12.0.30501.0_x64
          d. Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.25426.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

3. Once these files are installed, open "Windows PowerShell and navigate to the folder where the "Esri.CollectorforArcGIS_18.0.1.0_neutral_~_eytg3kh68c6a8" file is found and run the following command:

a. Add-AppxPackage -Path Esri.CollectorforArcGIS_18.0.1.0_neutral_~_eytg3kh68c6a8.appxbundle

4. After the app installs, you wont get a confirmation that it finished, but you can double-check in the start menu to make sure the app installed.

5. Make sure to go back to " Settings--->Update & Security--->For developers" and change the option back to "Windows Store apps"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonathanEscobar
New Contributor II

Hi Dirk,

Would you mind trying the following steps, I had really good success with them:

1. Enable "Sideload apps" in the the developer settings ( Settings--->Update & Security--->For developers)

2. Within the folder that you extracted the Collector for ArcGIS install files, double-click and install the following files:
          a. Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3_1.3.24201.0_x64
          b. Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_x64
          c. Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Universal_12.0.30501.0_x64
          d. Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.25426.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

3. Once these files are installed, open "Windows PowerShell and navigate to the folder where the "Esri.CollectorforArcGIS_18.0.1.0_neutral_~_eytg3kh68c6a8" file is found and run the following command:

a. Add-AppxPackage -Path Esri.CollectorforArcGIS_18.0.1.0_neutral_~_eytg3kh68c6a8.appxbundle

4. After the app installs, you wont get a confirmation that it finished, but you can double-check in the start menu to make sure the app installed.

5. Make sure to go back to " Settings--->Update & Security--->For developers" and change the option back to "Windows Store apps"

0 Kudos
DirkPeterson5
New Contributor

Jonathan,

That worked great for the install, thank you!  Now my next issue is that Collector does not open.  When I try, it flashes like it is opening, but the program does not show.

Dirk

0 Kudos
JonathanEscobar
New Contributor II

Hi Dirk,

I believe i've seen that before with other non-ESRI related applications tied to the Windows App Store.  Go ahead and try running a wsreset.exe in the run command box (Right-click the start menu and click "Run").

That command should reset any bad cache that the Windows Store may have laying around.

Feel free to let me know your results.

0 Kudos
DirkPeterson5
New Contributor

Jonathan,

That didn't seem to work, but as I have since discovered, its a moot point.  I have to log in as an admin before I can install a program, and it appears that Collector will only show up for the account that installed it.  When I log in using my regular account, Collector does not even show up as an installed program.

I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
JonathanEscobar
New Contributor II

Dirk,

In that case I would definitely talk with your IT department to see if there is a way they can deploy Collector onto your profile since you are seeing that behavior. 

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

We're working through a similar process now.  I used Windows PowerShell for all of it. Apparently whatever is supposed to happen when you simply double check the appx files has been disabled on our system.  I had to do all using an alternative account we have for just temporary admin rights for certain tasks.

It acts like I got through the various VClibs, and then I ran the same add-appxpackage on the appxbundle.  It acts like it deployed, but I don't see anything.  I temporarily connected via my alternative admin account, but I still don't see any Collector for ArcGIS installed.  

Once I've gone through these steps, shouldn't I be seeing it under my start menu?

0 Kudos
GeordonHarvey
New Contributor II

I'm in the same boat - can't install the .Appx files by double clicking - needed to do everything in Powershell.  

Similar to Dirk above - I now have an icon in my start menu that will flash open and close immediately. 

I should note that I am using the same admin account to side-load and open Collector.

0 Kudos