Collect features by subtype, symbolize by domain

05-02-2017 07:50 AM
AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

I have a feature class that is broken up into subtypes and domains for each subtype. For example, say I have "Tree" as a subtype fields, and then the next field points to a domain specific to that subtype with values like "Oak", "Cypress", "Palm" etc. When I'm in the Collector app and want to add a new point, you get your list of subtypes (Tree, Bush, Grass, etc) to choose from, and the points are symbolized based on those subtypes. However, I'd like to symbolize points based on the specific domains, (Oak, Cypress, Palm, etc.). The problem here is that symbolizing by domains means that when I go to collect a new point I have to scroll through a cumbersome list of species types like (Oak, Cypress, Palm, Mulberry, Azalea, Bluegrass, Milkweed, etc etc) just to get started, instead of a nice short list of: Tree, Bush, Grass. This also causes my subtypes to be listed by their numeric codes -- instead of their string descriptions -- when entering data into the fields. 

Is there a way to symbolize the points based on their domain values, but collect in the app based on subtype? 

-Aaron
3 Replies
ElizabethMoore2
New Contributor II

Thank you for posting this. In ArcPro and in AGOL, I can't seem to find the way to set symbology for domains that are applied to subtypes. In this case, one of my default domain colors is white/grey and it almost disappears on the map, so I edited the polygon to be a different domain just so it will show up. I just tried this ArcMap and it was limited to the symbology choices of your subtypes. So, this may be not a functionality of ESRI yet. Otherwise, by adding "other" as a subtype option you can get 1 extra color choice but that's it.

AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

The work around I ended up doing for my project was to have two layers, a "working" layer and a "reference" layer. The working layer was symbolized by subtype and went to Collector, which lets users have the shortlist of options for creating new features. Then I wrote a python script to append data nightly from the "working" layer into the "reference" layer -- which is symbolized by the subtype domains (but doesn't actually have subtypes enabled, the values are just getting copied from the working layer domains into a field for symbolization).

-Aaron
ElizabethMoore2
New Contributor II

Hi, This is a really smart work-around thank you.