Sync tools not handling 200mb+ syncs

4506
6
10-06-2015 03:08 PM
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I had seen in previous threads that the Collector to ArcGIS server sync limit was set at 2GB for both OS's. We are currently using iPads, and whenever we try to sync approximately 200mb to 500mb the ArcGIS server sync tools crash. I had thought the limit being 2GB should mean we have no issues here. The log message shows the following:

SEVEREOct 7, 2015, 5:42:32 AMThe containing process for 'System/SyncTools' job 'j66744257a2a7447c8ef609dac04c0e8f' has crashed.Server

SEVEREOct 7, 2015, 5:42:22 AMInstance of the service 'System/SyncTools.GPServer' crashed. Please see if an error report was generated in '\\####\ArcGIS\ServerRepository\Prod\ArcGISServer\v10_3\logs\#####\errorreports'. To send an error report to Esri, compose an e-mail to ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and attach the error report file.System/SyncTools.GPServer

Unfortunately no error report is generated when these crashes are occurring. I am hoping to do more debugging when our field workers are back at the office. Please note that any other smaller syncs have no issue syncing back to server, testing definitely seems to be pointing to size being the issue.

Does anyone have and ideas on why we are getting no where near the 2GB size limit? Should we actually be able to sync up to 2GB of data?

Russell Roberts​ can you help at all?

Cheers

Hamish

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Did you specify log setting to debug? This will provide more information: http://server.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/administer/linux/about-specifying-server-log-settings.htm

0 Kudos
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hi Miaogeng Zhang,

We did try full debugging a few days earlier but it did not provide any more detail than the errors already showing in the logs page. I will do some more full debugging today when users are attempting to sync. 

HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hello again,

Just an update, after more extensive testing it does not seem to simply be the size of our syncs that is causing our errors. I have done a full debug now and attached is a detailed example of the main error we are getting.

Totally unsure at this point as to what is causing this error, testing does not seem to give us a definitive answer. This error seems also intermittent but is occurring on 50% of all syncs. Note: This does not mean that if users try multiple times it will work in the end, usually once an offline map is failing its sync it will continue to fail.

Still awaiting help or any suggestions anyone has.

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Hamish,

Are you able to run Fiddler as a proxy on one of the mobile devices so we can capture its HTTP traffic and see what is happening there? More information on configuring Fiddler to capture traffic between iOS/Android and the ArcGIS Server can be found here: http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2011/12/06/configuring-fiddler-to-capture-web-traffic-from-...

Thanks,

Scott

HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scott Prindle,

After extensive investigation we believe we have tracked this issue directly to the sync process itself. So there is no issue uploading the data to the sync tools scratch folder (ArcGISServer\v10_3\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisuploads\services\{folderName}\{featureService}.FeatureServer). The error definitely occurs when the sync tools then starts to try reconcile the changes to the offline version. The errors in the sync seem to be caused by making changes to features that participate in a geometric network and were created before the map was downloaded. So generally for us this means features that were created on their desktops (in ArcMap) prior to the users going out into the field.

What we believe may be happening, for example, is you may have a line feature (network cable) snapped directly on top of a point feature (power pole). These 2 items are seen seen as connected in the geometric network. The iPad user may then want to change the location of the point in the field. However when they move the point without the cable they are forcibly breaking the geometric network. Even if they attempt to snap the line back on to the point after they move it, they are unable to do so as snapping is not available in collector (unsure if this would fix the issue anyway).

Let me know if you have any further ideas regarding this issue.

Thank you

Hamish Mills

ChrisHu
New Contributor

We also have the same issue syncing mobile geodatabase. We are using ArcGIS .NET SDK 100.3 with ArcGISServer 10.5.1. This appears to be occurring randomly for us.   

0 Kudos