Offline works in ios but not android

04-22-2014 04:59 PM
CharlesDawley
Occasional Contributor
I have a collector map that works fine in online/offline mode on my iphone.

When I try and use the offline mode on my android tablet the features do not appear.
But when I use the map in online mode the map works as expected.
Tags (2)
75 Replies
SteveLowman
New Contributor III

Russell,

Has this issue been fixed?  I have an Android (Galaxy 10.1 2014) new and loaded Collector on it and tested fine for off line editing.

Yesterday (4/20/15) we collected 89 points and 141 attached photos (approximately 3MB each) in offline editing mode.  Now it wont sync.  No error just sits there, hours now it has been sitting there with nothing happening.

0 Kudos
Mtclimber03
Occasional Contributor

Steve, I feel your pain. This actually became such an issue for my organization that we scrapped using Collector as it could not be relied upon. The method for the quick fix is tedious manually exporting,converting db format, merging and cleaning the parent db. The solution we came up with is to use iFormBuilder for our data collection needs paired along with the ArcGIS Online Connector function that inserts the data to AGOL. Check it out -->  https://www.iformbuilder.com/esri/http://https://www.iformbuilder.com/esri/

0 Kudos
SteveLowman
New Contributor III

Charlie,  Thanks for the link I will check them out.

Funny part is if the data gets uploaded to AGOL I can then download the entire thing to my PC but don't have the level of permissions to export the data to something else.  However if I back door this data off the tablet it appears the tool in 10.3 works and preservers the relationship between the photo name and data.  Not sure which is the better solution at this point but definitely does not work as advertised!

0 Kudos
MeganPerry1
New Contributor III
I will get you this information first thing tomorrow.  My coworker who is having problems with this application in Equatorial Guinea is currently unavailable.  Thanks so much for your help!
0 Kudos
MeganPerry1
New Contributor III
Hi Russ, the error reads "An error occurred while synchronizing edits".
0 Kudos
MeganPerry1
New Contributor III
Hi Russ do you think this is an android problem or a problem with our internet?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
I believe this is an issue with the size of the upload that you are doing on Android. We are working on a fix to remove this size limitation. We do have a python script that support is writing up a KB article for that can take the .geodatabase file on your device and move it to a file gdb and from there you can merge your data.

Russ
0 Kudos
MeganPerry1
New Contributor III
Hi Russ,
Is this a problem that will be fixed anytime soon?  We have a lot of data to collect and it would be a nightmare to have to merge it all everyday.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
We are planning an update for the UC which will address this issue.

Here is the python script..watch out for any white spaces that may be generated when copying and pasting..onnce the KB article is released I will point to that support page.

First copy the .geodatabase file to your computer. You can get to the .geodatabase file under the ArcGIS_Collector folder > offline data > folder with user account name associated with downloaded data > folder with the webmap id > copy the .geodatabase and you paste it onto your computer.

#!/usr/bin/python

# Import sys, getopt, arceditor, arcpy modules
import sys, getopt, arceditor, arcpy

def main(argv):
   input_gdb = 'Enter .geodatabase location'
   output_gdb = 'Enter in an existing fgdb location you want data to be exported into'
   try:
      opts, args = getopt.getopt(argv,"hi:o:",["ifile=","ofile="])
   except getopt.GetoptError:
      print 'test.py -i <input_gdb> -o <input_gdb>'
      sys.exit(2)
   for opt, arg in opts:
      if opt == '-h':
         print 'test.py -i <input_gdb> -o <output_gdb>'
         sys.exit()
      elif opt in ("-i", "--ifile"):
         input_gdb = arg
      elif opt in ("-o", "--ofile"):
         output_gdb = arg
   print 'Input gdb is: "', input_gdb
   print 'Output gdb is: "', output_gdb

Temp_xml = "temp.xml"

# Delete the xml workspace document if it exists.
   arcpy.Delete_management(Temp_xml)

# Export XML Workspace Document
   arcpy.ExportXMLWorkspaceDocument_management(input_gdb, Temp_xml, "DATA", "BINARY", "METADATA")

# Import XML Workspace Document. This assumes that the outputfile geodatabase is EMPTY.
   arcpy.ImportXMLWorkspaceDocument_management(output_gdb, Temp_xml, "DATA", "")

# Delete the xml workspace document if it exists.
   arcpy.Delete_management(Temp_xml)

if __name__ == "__main__":
   main(sys.argv[1:])

Russ
0 Kudos
MeganPerry1
New Contributor III
Hi Russ,

We are unable to get the code to work.  We checked for white spaces, and it is still invalid.
0 Kudos