Collector App Update Failed Error

5579
4
Jump to solution
05-27-2015 12:33 PM
BethanyHall
New Contributor III

We are using ArcGIS Online and the Collector App through a dedicated web server to verify our address point data which resides on a SDE server. When we make a change in Collector and attempt to update the data, we receive the following error:

Update Failed, Updates could not be sent. This operation couldn't be completed. error while updating the object in the GeoDatabase.

What should I check in Collector, the web server or SDE to see why we cannot update our address points with Collector.

Bethany Hall
GIS Ninja
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Bethany,

To locate the cause of the error, I would suggest trying to perform the same update in the web map in ArcGIS Online, through the rest endpoint, and directly to the data (no server involved). This way, you can determine if the issue is specific to the application that is submitting the request or if there is a server side\database error.

What kind of an update are you making? Adding a new feature, updating attributes?

Also, feel free to contact Technical Support as they can help you with troubleshooting steps.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Bethany,

To locate the cause of the error, I would suggest trying to perform the same update in the web map in ArcGIS Online, through the rest endpoint, and directly to the data (no server involved). This way, you can determine if the issue is specific to the application that is submitting the request or if there is a server side\database error.

What kind of an update are you making? Adding a new feature, updating attributes?

Also, feel free to contact Technical Support as they can help you with troubleshooting steps.

-Kelly

BethanyHall
New Contributor III

Kelly,

Thank-you for your suggestions. The changes we are making only involve moving address points with the Collector App in the field and storing those changes to a child version of our QC version. We keep our address points locked down to only a handful of editors to help eliminate conflicts and unauthorized personnel from editing.

We started troubleshooting within a web map with the same results. We then switched to Desktop and attempted to edit the data with the same results. From that failure, we started examining editing permissions on SDE where our data resides. We tracked down an improperly versioned dataset and quickly changed the permissions along with the field editor's geodatabase permissions on SQL. We had failed to setup the correct permissions on SQL for create function, create, procedure, create table and create view for a first time editor.Once that was squared away, we could create the proper version, assign privileges and have the Collector App point to the correct editable feature service.

The devil is in the details sometimes and that is what we miss.

Bethany Hall
GIS Ninja
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Bethany - could you clarify who the "first time user" is in the SDE database? Would that be whoever is logged into Collector, or the arcgiswebservices user? Thanks!

0 Kudos
BethanyHall
New Contributor III

Michael,

The first time users were new to using the Collector app and ArcGIS. This proved to be the majority of the issue and I spent quite a bit of time walking through how to drop points, move, edit the data in the fields, etc.

We also noticed if the users tried to upload more than one photo per point captured using Collector, the update would fail to upload. Remove the extra attached photo from the collected point and everything would upload. So, in order to incorporate the extra photos for each point, I had them capture the extra photo with the iPhone camera then upload them to the attachment feature class through an ArcGIS Online map with editing enabled.

Bethany Hall
GIS Ninja
0 Kudos