Offline map use - can download to device but then cannot access in field

04-14-2014 03:17 PM
NOLTNorth_Olympic_Land_Trust
New Contributor
Hi have been able to successfully make maps and download them to my device.  But when I get into the field, and would like to use the offline maps, I cannot access them.  I signed onto Collector prior to leaving WiFi access, because I knew I wouldn't be able to sign in while in the boonies.  But the app perhaps signed me off Collector, or there is some other problem, that I cannot enter back into the Collector app while in the field in order to use the maps on my device.  Can you really call it offline maps if you cannot sign onto the app to use them offline?  I would love some help on this.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The app should not sign you out automatically. Did you manually shutdown the app before going out to the field?

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
New Contributor
I need to use another app in the field at the same time.  So I did switch over to the other - so if that means shutting it down, then yes, I did.  But if your app is supposed to work offline in the field, a user should be able to access their offline material...

I purchased an iPad mini specifically for using this app in the field, spent a zillion hours learning how to make maps that will actually download, spent a zillion hours making those maps, and now I cannot use it. I tested this system on my personal iPad, while offline, and it worked. I did go into and out of the app while offline during this trial. So I based the new purchase on that trial.  But when I purchased the new iPad and tried to use it, it does not work, and signs me out.  I hope you can help me.
0 Kudos
New Contributor
I just turned off WiFi while in my office.  I then closed Collector (same way I did in the field), used the other app (same way I did in the field), then when back to Collector, and it opened.  Is it perhaps an issue of it signing out after a certain period of time has passed? I will experiment more in the field today.
0 Kudos
New Contributor
I've done more testing. I cannot consistently re-create the problem.  It seems to be randomly crashing, then I cannot get back in.  Has there been a problem with crashing?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
If you are seeing a crash you and private message me the crash logs and we can look into the issue.

To retrieve a crash log follow these steps:
1. Sync with iTunes
Crash logs are transferred to iTunes whenever you sync your device. Plug in your device, and launch iTunes to complete the sync.

2. Open any Windows Explorer Window (My Computer, My Documents, etc.)
Enter %appdata%, and press enter
Navigate to Roaming > Apple computer > Logs > CrashReporter > Mobile Device > *Device Name*. (Note: your device name appears in iTunes on the left side, under 'Devices')
You should see a CRASH file that starts with Collector_
You can open up that crash file in text editor and copy and paste that info into a private message to me.

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos