Select to view content in your preferred language

Map not displayed in collector

06-04-2013 07:05 AM
DiegoAraujo1
Emerging Contributor
Howdy,

I am trying to set up an Ap for my office to use in the field and collector looks like it is exactly what I need, however, in trying to set it up, my trial maps are not visible on Collector. I can make maps on ArcGIS web, follow the tutorial, and all seems great, it is saved on the web server, I can even find it on the ArcGIS Ap, but I can NOT find my map on Collector.

I have tried to tutorial that is provided, inputted all basemaps/layers, and can find that generated map on all three spots (web server, ArcGIS Ap, Collector Ap) but when I try and make a map with my data, I cannot find it on Collector. It seems like there is one tiny step Im missing somewhere that will allow me to make my map 'go live' for use.

Any suggestions are greatly, greatly appreciated

ffd
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
33 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you reproduce the attachment crash on any map with a hosted service that has attachments enabled?
Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
RobertBeutner
Emerging Contributor
Can you reproduce the attachment crash on any map with a hosted service that has attachments enabled?
Thanks
Russ

Hello Russ,

I think attachments are enabled properly because I can update the attachments in-office post field collection and view the attachments via the collector app. So it would seem to me that, yes it is probably happening to services that have attachments enabled. But to be fair I have only had this one test.

Not sure if this meant for me - but I can share the parameters for what I did today:

1. I created a map service using the steps outlined in this ArcUser tutorial:http://www.esri.com/esri-news/arcuser/summer-2013/create-your-own-collector-map

2. Once I had the app set up on my Organizational ArcOnline account while following the steps outlined; I went outside - and started collecting points on the college campus where I work.

3. Testing iteration #1 - I took some points and tried to take photos. I did this at three different points on campus and none of thepoints updated on the online map (verified in-office). Also - none of the photos were in the on-board photo gallery. Each time the photo attachment would crash the app or at least cause it to loop.

4. Testing iteration #2 - I took some points, but I did not use the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 1.4.2 camera to log locations. I did try to take one photo. Again, the result was that the app crashed. Again any photos taken with the collector app initiating the Samsung S3 camera app would result in no photos in the Gallery.

So to sum up, I created a service using the desktop (10.1) and published it to an organizational ArcOnline account where I am also an administrator. I pointed the collector app at the proper url for my organization and logged into the collector app with the proper credentials. No photos can be processed successfully using a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 1.4.2. Points can be successfully collected and photos shared via a third party service (like Google Drive). Of course this linking of photos needs to be done back in the office - post field collection.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Is your S3 on Verizon? Can you download another camera app called "Camera MX" and try to use that instead of the stock camera app?

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
RobertBeutner
Emerging Contributor
Is your S3 on Verizon? Can you download another camera app called "Camera MX" and try to use that instead of the stock camera app?

Thanks
Russ

Yes. Sorry that is one piece of information I neglected to add - I am a Verizon customer. I will try that app in the workflow first thing tomorrow. Thanks for the information.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
it looks like its a memory issue with the camera app and not the collector on some samsung devices and that we�??re investigating if theres anything we can do in collector to work around it. We did notice that the Camera MX app was still working within the Collector app when the stock camera app was causing issues when we used it attached photos.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
RobertBeutner
Emerging Contributor
it looks like its a memory issue with the camera app and not the collector on some samsung devices and that we�??re investigating if theres anything we can do in collector to work around it. We did notice that the Camera MX app was still working within the Collector app when the stock camera app was causing issues when we used it attached photos.

Cheers
Russ

Hello Russ:

The CameraMax app did work. The only issue is the length of time it took for the phone to update the map. A best practice would seem to be to not be too quick to walk "off-station" while waiting for the map to update with the attached photo.

One new wrinkle: For some reason there is now a copy of the map I was updating in my ArcGIS Online account for organizations. I suppose it is possible I somehow created a copy, I am just not sure of the new web map copy. Both updated fine vai the collector app and photo MX.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob
0 Kudos
CA_-_ReneGonzalez__GISS_
Occasional Contributor
Hello Russ:

The CameraMax app did work. The only issue is the length of time it took for the phone to update the map. A best practice would seem to be to not be too quick to walk "off-station" while waiting for the map to update with the attached photo.

One new wrinkle: For some reason there is now a copy of the map I was updating in my ArcGIS Online account for organizations. I suppose it is possible I somehow created a copy, I am just not sure of the new web map copy. Both updated fine vai the collector app and photo MX.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob

How big is the resolution in your photos? I have noticed that if photo being save has a high resolution setting it can take a bit to upload. If I change the resolution to a lower setting, the attachment is saved quicker.
0 Kudos
RobertBeutner
Emerging Contributor
How big is the resolution in your photos? I have noticed that if photo being save has a high resolution setting it can take a bit to upload. If I change the resolution to a lower setting, the attachment is saved quicker.

I checked - the size of the image file that I took with the Camera MX is 1.6 mb. Good point - maybe an adjustment to the image resolution would be a good thing to add to the workflow.

Thanks

Rob
0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
Just a brief follow-up on the attachment issue with some samsung devices. We just got the 4.3 update on our SIII (AT&T) and from the looks of it, samsung's update has fixed the issue.
0 Kudos
victoriafernandez
New Contributor
Hello

I am just starting to use the map collector. I am following the steps shown in the tutorial but when I'm going to  "Configure map capabilities" (http://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/android/create-maps/configure-map-capabilities.htm), I can't see the features to enable/disble (routing, measure tool, etc) . The tutorial shows a tip that may be related to my problem, except that I created the map today... (I believe this tip doesn't apply to my situation).

I would really appreciate any thought on the subject

Thanks!

Vicky
0 Kudos