Is Collector compatible with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver using the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service?

06-30-2015 02:30 PM
AmandaRenner
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if you can use the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver and Collector?  I'm having trouble finding any documentation on it.  Trimble mentions that it is compatible with all of their data collection apps like TerraFlex but I'm not seeing any other non-Trimble software on the list.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
45 Replies
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

There is no reason to GPS with a high accuracy survey grade GPS if you can't have is store the elevation.  Can you suggest a work around then?  Are we just supposed to type in the elevation manually? 

0 Kudos
RichAsh
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Although I can see  many projects where one would be only concerned with high accuracy horizontal , I am completely in agreement with you that the ability to capture a high accuracy elevation is an important feature for many when using a piece of GNSS survey equipment (centimeter level).  I'm curious if you care the reference of the "precise" Z value; are you fine with taking the HAE values from the receiver or you looking for a Geoid adjusted "MSL" value.

I don't have any fix for you with Collector (I wish it was extensible!)  but we are interested in this topic as well.

Thanks,

Rich Ash

GeoMobile Innovations

0 Kudos
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Rich,

Ideally you would have options for both, which if I recall is the case in ArcPAD where you can enter an antenna height and Geoid separation height.  I think the problem here is we are asking ESRI to make the free Collector app perform like their paid ArcPAD software.  I can see from a business perspective why ESRI would not want to make free Collector too much like paid ArcPAD.  I would gladly pay for a license of ArcPAD if it would work on my iPhone, but as far as I know, ArcPad is limited to the Windows environment. 

So either make ArcPAD available on android and IOS, or make Collector do what ArcPad can do.  I guess those are the choices ESRI has to make.

Dan

0 Kudos
RichAsh
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan,

I think there are a number of reasons why Collector cannot entirely replace ArcPad (for many but not all users), at least at this time. GPS robustness and awareness is certainly one of them.  I am anxious to see future roll outs of Collector and if/how they improve on that. ArcPad as we know it will never be ported to a smart phone app. I know I am against the party line in saying so,  but ArcPad will have to continue to  be the "go to" tool for many of our clients due to effective sensor integration (not just GPS), extensible framework  and rock sold disconnected workflow.

With that said and in regards to the topic you brought up, even ArcPad does not have an effective GPS/GNSS Geoid/MSL implementation. Its not practical to manually input a Geoid separation value for every GPS point you take in a project. GeoMobiile wrote an extension called GeoBullseye for ArcPad (GeoBullseye for ArcPad | GeoMobile Innovations  )that solves this problem (and other GNSS issues) and provides Geoid 12a support for accurate on the fly MSL elevations. It would be cool to see  this type of functionality make its way into the new "mobile landscape" but at the end of the day we simply encourage our clients to understand their use case and use the right tools for the job.

Rich Ash

GeoMobile Innovations

ClairePook
New Contributor

Hi, I've been using the Collector App with Trimble's R1 to collect point data in the UK.

The R1 is receiving corrections via Trimble's Viewpoint RTX service.

I have just read the following page (Using GNSS Receivers with Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog)

which seems to suggest that the ViewPoint RTX service is not using WGS84, but rather a national reference frame (ITRF).

Is there a chance that the points I am capturing with the Collector App are not in WGS84 as I first thought?

I have been extracting and projecting my points into British National Grid, and finding that they all appear approx. 5m South of where I had expected..

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

The difference between WGS84 and ITRF is quite small. That should not be the reason of 5m shift. Can you share more details about how you extracted and projected your points into British National Grid? Also how do you configure your webmap, such as basemap, feature service spatial reference?