Hide web map from Collector

Jump to solution
11-30-2017 01:21 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. Is there any way that I can tag or otherwise set up a web map so that it *won't* display in Collector?

I saw that someone else asked this back in 2016, but it seems that the answer they were happy with was just to not share the web map.

However I am literally wanting to create web maps that, technically speaking, a user can access (i.e. they have permissions to it) and would typically load into Collector (i.e. fulfills all the general requirements such as needing an editable layer etc), but - I don't want this particular web map to show up in Collector.

Sounds like a strange request, but the use case here is that we have an app that works with a certain web map and layers within it, with a custom workflow and complex business logic that validates and updates data in various layers. Up until now, users have only used this custom app. Now, we have some users that we want to begin using Collector for another project, for which we can stand up new layers and a new web map, and Collector is quite suitable and ideal for that project. But we are concerned that over-eager or semi-capable users might attempt to use Collector to interact with the first webmap, thereby circumventing all the business logic and validation rules in the custom app and causing major data corruption.

Ideally, I would like to be able to maybe just add a particular 'tag' to a web map (e.g. 'NOT_COLLECTOR'), and Collector would just not display that web map within the UI.

The concept seems simple, is there anything already in place, or is there any reason why it couldn't be put in place?

Without such a mechanism, it kind of forces us to discourage use of Collector is this org.

https://community.esri.com/message/606287?q=web%20map 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SusanEnyedy_Goldner
Esri Contributor

This is now available for web map under the item details > settings > General settings ... just scroll to the very bottom and uncheck  "Use in Collector for ArcGIS". 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

I'm surprised no one else had chimed in with the same need. Very often a webmap used in collector is purpose-built for that scenario, and you don't want people in a different web map in the field.

I created an idea:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/15064 

0 Kudos
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

There is way to do this using ArcGIS Online Assistant ArcGIS Online Assistant. See my comment on Rob's idea page for some instructions. 

Allow web maps to be hidden from collector 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy

Yes, we had found that trick of manually editing the webmap json and removing the Collector typeKeyword and are using that. The only catch is that if you ever 're-save' the web map it recalculates and inserts that type keyword back in, so you need to remember to do it each time.

Ideally, there would be a tick box somewhere on the settings page for the web map "Hide from Collector" which would prevent that keyword from ever being populated.

0 Kudos
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

>>'re-save' the web map it recalculates and inserts that type keyword back in

Hmm, suspected that might be the case, so that's a bit of pain.  Oh well, glad to have at least made a bit of progress on this, and tidy up what which maps are exposed in Collector - I will just have to try to keep on top of it when making changes for now I guess.

>>Ideally, there would be a tick box somewhere on the settings page for the web map

Yup, that'd be nice!

Cheers, 

Andy.

0 Kudos
SusanEnyedy_Goldner
Esri Contributor

This is now available for web map under the item details > settings > General settings ... just scroll to the very bottom and uncheck  "Use in Collector for ArcGIS". 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Susan

That's awesome, thanks! I just tested and it seems to work fine. I couldn't see it at first, but then I think that the first web map I looked at wasn't compatible with Collector anyway, so the option didn't even appear. But when I opened up a web map item that I knew was available in Collector then I saw the option. Small suggestion might be to tweak it so that if the web map is NOT compatible with Collector, then still display the option in the UI but grey it out and disable the checkbox, so that users know that the option exists but is not available for that particular web map item.

Question - can we set that flag via the REST API yet?

I'm hoping this makes it into Enterprise v10.7!

0 Kudos