GeoTagged Photos

07-24-2014 12:17 PM
EvanCarey1
New Contributor

Hey all! I work for the City of Jacksonville's GIS department and we are working on an ArcGIS online application that provides viewers with park locations and assets. Each asset in a given park polygon is given a point using collector. Each point is assigned an asset id, park number, and a photo of the specific asset. In theory it works great out in the field, but occasionally if there is heavy canopy coverage, we are not able to edit and plot in collector.

We decided to just take pictures of the assets using our phones camera and making sure the phone's setting allowed photos to be geotagged. From the geotagged photos we created points. This worked great in areas of heavy canopy coverage!

The only question I have now is: Is there a way to bring the point layer generated from the geotagged photos into the park asset layer WITH the photo. I can easily copy and paste the point from the geotagged layer into the asset layer, but the photo does not copy over.

I hope I explained the problem clearly. Let me know if anyone has any solutions or ideas!

Thanks,

Evan Carey

JaxGIS  

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is information on Geotagged Photos in the help file...according to it there are limitations for the standard license  (Add_Photos_As_Attachments parameter)

0 Kudos
EvanCarey1
New Contributor

Thanks Dan. I am able to add photos as attachments. Our main objective is to have a point layer of all park assets attached with a photo. I am just having trouble bring the geotagged point with the attached photo into the park assets layer. When I copy or join the points only the path of the photo is added.

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

Is your problem that you want to copy the point feature class to another directory location, but when you do the photos don't work any more?  Is that because the location of the photos specified in the feature class attribute table are relative?  If the photos listed in the table have no path to them, the feature class must be expecting them in the same folder as the point feature class.

No, I just tested that. Copied a point shape file with associated geotagged photos to a new folder.  The photos didn't come along with the copy,  the attribute table still shows no path to the geotagged photos, but the photos still show up in ArcMap with Identify tool.  How does that work?

0 Kudos