For extensive field data collection for parks in a City using Collector, would you request mobile devices with cellular data connection?

08-11-2020 08:27 AM
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

What would be the most seamless setup (cellular, wifi using a Mifi, or disconnected editing) for field crew with no GIS experience? Thank you for your input!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

"Most seamless" would be to have internet connectivity on the device via cellular (an air card or something similar).  Then it is kind of a no-brainer - the data just shoots right into your database (SDE or whatever) with no additional work required.  Using a cell phone with Collector or Survey123 is a fairly low-tech way to go.

But really, any of these setups would work.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Thank you! any experinec of using a mibile device with cellular data plan versus using a mifi? I am trying to make the case that cellular data plan is the way to go to ensure a reliable, robust connection in the field but I can't find any "expert" opinion to lean on.

I also want to stay away from disconnected editing if possible, don't want to run into sync issues, either from an IT perspective or from field crew forgotting to do it! 

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

The MiFi will work, but from my perspective it is another piece of equipment to keep track of and another thing for the field crew to know how/remember to use.  A device with a cellular plan JUST WORKS, with no fiddling around required.  If you are aiming for simplicity (and that is ALWAYS a good goal), then the internet-enabled device with cell plan is the way to go.  In my mind the only reason to use a MiFi is if you are super crunched for cash and can't justify the monthly fee for the cell plan.

I definitely agree with staying away from disconnected editing if you can.  Again, it works, but unless you need it because you work in areas without cell coverage, it is just another complication.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Thanks again, very helpful!

0 Kudos