Field 2 must equal the value of Field 1 in the same record.. can it be enforced?

Jump to solution
08-11-2017 05:00 AM
HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

I have a situation where the value of Field 2 must equal the value of Field 1. Field 2 is a check on Field 1 to ensure data is entered correctly. Is there a way to enforce a rule such that, when entering a value into Field 2 in ArcMap, ArcGIS, and (most importantly) Collector (App), it must match the value already entered into Field 1 and vice versa?

Thank you for your help! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Hannes,

> The client is entering the data manually, and as a precaution there are two fields set up so that the number must be entered twice, reducing the potential for entering a wrong number.

> ... are you looking for a validation of the data and provide feedback if the user entered different information for both fields?

I can confirm that Survey123 can indeed be enabled to do what you're asking for. You can enable this type of business logic and validation with smart forms, which is a key component of Survey123.

To learn more about Survey123 for ArcGIS:

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have never heard about a function like this in Collector.

I would go for the app "Survey123" where this no problem at all to implement.  You could open Survey123 from Collector and send data to that app. You could also change the same feature in Survey123 if you want.

HannesZiegler2

Hey Johan, thank you for the suggestion, I will look into Survey123, funny this is the first time I've heard about it.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Indeed for now it is better to go with Survey123 (https://survey123.arcgis.com/ ) as Johan Ekenstedt  suggested. You will see in future release that intelligent forms will come to Collector and in the near future there will be attribute rules which will bring this functionality. An alternative would be to post-process the information collected with Collector or have some script update the hosted feature service.

I'm wondering though, why do you have two fields with the same information? Why have this redundancy in your data? Can you elaborate on that?

HannesZiegler2

Xander, thank you for the details. The client is entering the data manually, and as a precaution there are two fields set up so that the number must be entered twice, reducing the potential for entering a wrong number. This is similar to how some online forms force you to enter an e-mail address twice. 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

So, are you looking for a validation of the data and provide feedback if the user entered different information for both fields?

0 Kudos
HannesZiegler2

Yes exactly, that's the intend.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

It isn't possible in Collector at the moment, but this might be possible in Survey123. I will CC Derek Law and James Tedrick , experts on Survey123, to see if they can advise you.

HannesZiegler2

Thank you! I appreciate all the help

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Hannes,

> The client is entering the data manually, and as a precaution there are two fields set up so that the number must be entered twice, reducing the potential for entering a wrong number.

> ... are you looking for a validation of the data and provide feedback if the user entered different information for both fields?

I can confirm that Survey123 can indeed be enabled to do what you're asking for. You can enable this type of business logic and validation with smart forms, which is a key component of Survey123.

To learn more about Survey123 for ArcGIS:

Hope this helps,