Editable feature service, and query only feature service, in single offline Webmap?

Jump to solution
05-14-2015 08:06 PM
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a WebMap template that our users will be downloading and using as an offline collection map in the field (using collector of course). We are currently using a fully 10.3 environment (geodatabase, portal, server and webadaptors all 10.3), and we are using sde databases on SQL servers. Also using iPads with iOS 8.

This WebMap contains 2 separate feature services.

- One feature service, lets say Feature A, has all feature service options selected; Create, Delete, Query, Sync and Update are all ticked on.

- The second feature, Feature B, has only 2 options selected; Query and Update.

Now both Feature A and B are in a single map and the download to collector works fine no errors. Users can work offline, doing creates, deletes and updates on Feature A (Feature B is of course not editable but is just there to be queried). Now when the user comes to sync the map edits they get a Sync error "Sync Error. An error occurred while synchronizing edits. Requested operation is not supported by this service." From quite extensive testing it seems pretty obvious that this error is from Feature B not being editable. There does not seem to be any edits lost on Feature A so this is not really a major issue as we can just request users to ignore this error and their edits will still work. However, as you can imagine, from a users point of view this does not make our system look very reliable (even if it is).

Does anyone know of a way you can have an editable feature service with a query only feature service, in a single offline map, and not have a sync error when syncing back edits?

Thanks!

Hamish

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I have used two feature layers with Collector in a manner similar to what you are attempting.  Both features were created with all service options selected (Create, Delete, Query, Sync and Update).  When creating the map, the first feature layer allowed editing.  For the second feature, editing was disabled (this option is in the section where you configure the map's pop-ups).  You should then be able to go in to the Properties section of your map (where you set delete protection, extent, etc.) and set the application settings to use a find location query by layer using the second (non-editable) layer.  If items in the second layer hamper editing, the Collector menu allows the user to turn the layer off/on as needed

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I have used two feature layers with Collector in a manner similar to what you are attempting.  Both features were created with all service options selected (Create, Delete, Query, Sync and Update).  When creating the map, the first feature layer allowed editing.  For the second feature, editing was disabled (this option is in the section where you configure the map's pop-ups).  You should then be able to go in to the Properties section of your map (where you set delete protection, extent, etc.) and set the application settings to use a find location query by layer using the second (non-editable) layer.  If items in the second layer hamper editing, the Collector menu allows the user to turn the layer off/on as needed

HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hey Randy,

I have been unable to test this solution yet, but I think it might be just the solution I need. I will update soon.

Cheers
Hamish

0 Kudos
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hey Randy/everyone,

I have tested this method and it seems to work great! This is just what I needed. A simple solution that does exactly what I needed it to.

So a Big thanks for your help!

Cheers

Hamish

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

On Feature B you can test with Query and Update, Sync enabled. Also, you might want to install this patch if you haven't

ArcGIS 10.3 for Server sync with related records Patch | Samples and Utilities

FrankPotempa
Occasional Contributor

I have tested this approach and it does work

On Feature B you can test with Query and Update, Sync enabled.

However user can still update a fs that one may want read only.

0 Kudos
FrankPotempa
Occasional Contributor

Hi, there is some chatter on this exact issue here as well;

Sync errors with Collector offline

I will try to keep these together. I am currently testing Miaogeng's suggestion of adding Update to the capabilities although Query and Sync is all that is required according to documentation.

Frank

0 Kudos