Edit attributes and related table of a featurelayer while not allowing to edit the geometry

10-07-2015 04:50 AM
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I wan to edit attributes and related tables of a feature layer, but I don't want my field crew to mess up the geometry of the layer. but here is the dilemma:

If I choose the host feature layer option "update the attributes only", in Collector I can only view the related table records, I can't add.

If I allow "add, delete and update..." on my feature layer, and disable editing for the layer in the web map, the users can't edit the attributes in the feature in the layer, although they can add and edit the records in the related tables

If I allow "add, delete and update..." on my feature layer, and enable editing for the layer in the web map, everything looks good except I can't prevent the users from adding and deleting the features which I really don't wan't them to mess up.

I could manipulate the data and make all the editable contents in the related tables, but I want to symbolize the features using the data collected and using Operational Dashboard, these are not possible with related tables at the moment.

I know we need to be realistic and the desired functions need to compromise with the  platform ability. but I want to know if I am alone for this kind of requirement, whether or not it will be good to have more control than only "enable/disable editing" for the feature layer in the webmap?

Any comments are welcome. thanks.

13 Replies
JeffSegal1
New Contributor II

I have found a work-around to a similar type of problem and the same approach may help for your situation.

Try Publishing with Add and Delete capability OFF, then Overwrite with Add ON.

I think this will leave the geometry update capability disabled.

Set the parameter to permit editors to Add/Delete the only Features they Add.

Another approach may be to publish separate Feature Services to get discrete controls over each later.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Jeff

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I tried the first approach before, but it didn't stop the collector from editing the features. I will give it another try tomorrow at work. I have been overwriting the existing services, I will try to create a new one to see how it goes.

The second approach would be good if the services could share the data, but unfortunately they can't. It seems there is no way to let two hosted feature services to share the same data source in ArcGIS Online,

simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Jeff,

I tested your first approach, it didn't work for me. are you using hosted feature service or your own ArcGIS Server.

Miaogeng Zhang​, Can you please advice whether or not we are trying towards the right direction? Thanks!

0 Kudos
JeffSegal1
New Contributor II

Hi Simo,

I'm using ArcGIS Online as a hosted service.

Another suggestion may be to use the API or the updateDefinition tool.

Take a look at: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgis-rest-api/#/Update_Definition_Feature_Service/02r30000021z...

and change true to false for this:

"allowGeometryUpdates" : true,

Both these options require some admin capability.

simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Jeff,

It doesn't allow me to change the "allowGeometryUpdates" settings at the layer level although I can do it at the service level. well, I think I have to give it up for now. thanks for the admin rest API tip, which might help me out in other occasions.

Cheers, Simo

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Simo

I suggest you contact Esri Support to have a support case logged for this issue.

-Miaogeng

NickShannon
New Contributor II

Yes, I've the exact same problem.

Basically, I want to allow full editing control.. but want to persevere all original geometry. 

0 Kudos
RELAdmin
New Contributor III

This is exactly what I am looking to do.

We need another option in the feature layer settings: "Allow editing of feature attributes and related table records, but no editing of feature geometry (add, update, or delete)"

Without this feature, utility maps with related inspection records can be easily messed up by field workers.

KevinRobert1
New Contributor III

Any updates on this? I want the exact same thing... I want the field crew to change the status of a field called "Survey completed" from No to Yes in the table but I don't want them to move the Hydrant Location.