Does Collector for ArcGIS work without arcgis.com?

06-03-2014 10:10 AM
JamiePetersen
Occasional Contributor II
Basic Question - Does Collector for ArcGIS work without using ArcGIS.com subscription?
If not, does anyone know why?  Are customers that choose not to use ArcGIS.com being left behind?  Sure feels like it. The documentation says Collector is more streamlined for editing than ArcGIS for iOS or Android.  Why don't I get to use Collector?  I have ArcGIS Server Advanced Enterprise.  I can publish MobileWeb Maps to my mobile content directory that can be consumed and edited by ArcGIS for Android/iOS.  Feels like my organization is being "punished" because we have our own cloud infrastructure and don't need services hosted for us.  Am I being forced into ArcGIS.com?  Just want to know which direction I need to take my organization.  Is ESRI replacing Enterprise GIS with ArcGIS.com? Hope not...
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
You can use ArcGIS.com to access the Collector or you can use the on premise solution - Portal for ArcGIS.

Here is a great video Ismael created using his 10.2.2 server and Portal for ArcGIS and how you can use it with the Collector app.
http://video.arcgis.com/watch/3474/using-collector-for-arcgis-with-arcgis-server-1022

Russ
0 Kudos
JamiePetersen
If I interpreted that correctly, the two options are ArcGIS.com account with credits and additional licensing per subscription or purchase the license to run on-premise Portal for ArcGIS, correct?  Simply, as if it is a small investment, having ArcGIS Server Advanced Enterprise isn't enough.  Users must buy up to use the Collector App.  Fair assessment?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Depending on your set up the Portal extension could be available to you

Requirements and Pricing
Portal for ArcGIS is an extension included with ArcGIS for Server Advanced (Enterprise or Workgroup).
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisserver/extensions/portal-for-arcgis

I would recommend you talking to your Esri representative to see if this is available for you because you mentioned you are running ArcGIS Server Advanced Enterprise.

Russ
0 Kudos
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III
With the Portal option you (may) also need to purchase 'named users' license.

As Russ said, your ESRI rep can talk you thru the options.
0 Kudos
JamiePetersen
"You are entitled to one Portal Named User for every ArcGIS for Desktop license that you have current in maintenance.  These entitlements can be used either for ArcGIS Online (1 User and 100 Credits per license) or ArcGIS for Portal (1 user per license)." - That's from ESRI.

I can't find it now, but I read somewhere on ESRI's website where they compared ArcGIS for iOS/Android vs Collector.  Said both can collect but something to the affect that "Collector was more streamlined for editing and has more features".

My takeaway from this conversation is: Collector, the product built for the ArcGIS Online/Portal platform is better than ArcGIS for Android/iOS, the product that works directly with my $40k upfront purchase of Advanced Enterprise + $10k/year maintenance.  That hurts.  I understand that because of my licensing I can use ArcGIS Online/Portal, but I find it disappointing that I have to. I guess Desktop Advanced, ArcSDE Enterprise, and ArcGIS Server Advanced Enterprise isn't enough anymore...
0 Kudos