Does Collector For ArcGIS Need Credits To Worl?

08-27-2021 05:23 PM
MagerMA
New Contributor

I'm trying to get Collector working on an Android phone, I have an AGOL account but don't need any credits as all my work will be offline. Right now I get the message that I am not authorized to log in which is odd as I use the identical password and account name on my desktop no problem. Is this because I have no credits? I haven't used AGOL for who knows how long so likely any credits are expired.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MagerMA
New Contributor

Ah, typo! Should say: Does Collector For ArcGIS Need Credits To Work?

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

What is the user type assigned to your account? Are you a creator or field worker? If not, you won't be able to access field maps. 

Credit consumption isn't directly linked to app access, however you'll need credits to host the data on agol and to create tile caches.

How many credits do you have precisely? If you're in negative credits, then you may lose some functionality. But if you have more than 1 credit, then you should be fine

David
..Maps with no limits..
MagerMA
New Contributor

User type is Creator, which according to the User types, roles, and privileges documentation has sufficient privileges, at least if I'm reading it correctly?. I have no credits, and I will have all data local to the phone, I will have no cell or wifi connection so will have several gigs likely on the phone.

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

You're right, a creator licence is fine for mobile apps. But how do you intend to get data onto collector without agol credits? I don't believe Collector supports MMPKs but Field Maps does. However, you can't edit data in MMPK so is only for reference.

Without authoring the web map in AGOL, you can't get an offline map into Collector. And you'll need credits to host the vector and tile data in AGOL.

My advice is either switch to field maps and MMPKs (requires an arcgis pro license) if you're not editing. Or purchase a small amount of credits to host vector data in AGOL, and then use one of ESRI's offline basemaps.

David
..Maps with no limits..
MagerMA
New Contributor

Thanks Brooks_SummitGeo you are answering questions before I ask them! I'm used to Desktop and ArcPad which is what I'm replacing as it doesn't work on Android, can I not simply add data to an open map in Collector? I find it is very very difficult to cut through a lot of the marketing fog to find out what these apps actually do for me. Even if I had cell service the data rates would be in the hundreds if not thousands a month to stream this to the device.

I am editing in the sense of creating new features but will not much in editing existing data sense, I'll have to see what Field Maps can do, a Pro license in Canada will be over $10,000 after all is said and done.

0 Kudos