Does Collector for ArcGIS allow domains to populate from another hosted feature service?

Jump to solution
08-18-2017 08:30 AM
Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II

We are about to deploy a modification of the Streetlight Inventory Solution using collector and our Public Works is wanting to collect the street names for the street that the pole is on as well as the cross street.

I have built the domain for all streets in our city though exporting out distinct street names from SQL but I was wondering if there was a way to point collector to another feature service for the domain so that we don't have to rebuild the domain as we build new streets or new subdivisions go in.

If this is not possible I will post it to the ArcGIS Ideas.

Thanks!

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

You can if you host the service through a geodatabase and GIS server. You can’t if you’re using a hosted feature service through ArcGIS Online.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

You can if you host the service through a geodatabase and GIS server. You can’t if you’re using a hosted feature service through ArcGIS Online.

MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Guido is correct - modifying the key-value pairs of a domain counts as a schema change so you would need to republish the feature service for your field workers to see the updated domain.

If your feature service is hosted by Esri, a possible alternative solution might be to:

It would be possible but requires using arcpy and the ArcGIS REST API. It gets a little more complicated if you are using disconnected editing which requires a sync-enabled service.

Good luck!

Micah